won't eat; can't stand, plus I found mites

Coach P

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 27, 2014
Nashville, TN
This will be long, but I want to give history and answer all questions I might create...
28 month old Isa Brown, total of 10 in flock, all bought at the same time one year ago; bought from a guy who said the chickens came from the Amish in IN or IL; doubt they were ever vaccinated or wormed; horrible conditions, one had broken toe, several with broken beaks, one cross beak, but my regular supplier had had a fire and was still shut down and it was the start of covid and really hard to find anyone selling chickens; we felt like we were definitely giving these chickens a better place to call home; since then- no newcomers, nothing new introduced, they spend their time outside free ranging within a fenced area of my back yard then come in to their coop at night; fed Purina layer feed; ground has been really saturated for weeks with all the snow and then constant rain (northern middle TN). I believe I might have more than one issue going on.

One chicken, Zebee, had trouble walking a few days ago; when she did walk, she would step on her own foot; now she can't even stand up; she has stopped eating or drinking; she is pooping completely runny white/yellow poop full of undigested grass (with a horrendous smell!) yet she hasn't eaten in two days; her comb is dark red and standing; her eyes are bright, she doesn't "look" sick. I brought her in last night to clean her up and examine her since she lays in her poop and was nasty. I did manage to get her to drink some water but she will eat nothing.

Definitely found one issue - once I got her cleaned I found hundreds of tiny brown bugs covering her rear. Assuming these are mite. I went to TSC and bought permethrin, sprayed her really well and left her wrapped in a towel and put her back in her nest box for the night. This morning, I re-examined and found a couple bugs still moving, so I will retreat. I checked two other chickens. One had only a couple mites, literally, then I checked another one and she was totally infested so I have my work planned today on getting the birds and the coop treated.

As for my sick bird, does it sound like she may be having something else causing her sickness/lameness instead of the mites? None of the others have stopped eating or drinking and none are lame. Everything I read says that if mites are killing your bird, they would should signs of anemia like pale combs but mine still has a bright bright comb and bright eyes. I assume these are mites. They are tiny tiny brown, moving specks. When we went into the coop last night to put Zebee back, I shined a light on several places and I can't see any bugs of any type moving on anything but I will still treat the coop.

At the risk of sounding cold hearted and callous- these chickens aren't pets. They are a source of eggs and I have no emotional attachment to them so I won't spend money on a vet bill for a $5 bird. I don't know how long a chicken will last without eating but I'm willing to try any home remedy I can. If I lose them all, I'll definitely consider a vet consult to figure out the problem, but until then, I'm looking for any suggestions any of you might have. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

*** Added since initial post - I just read where someone posted that mites typically don't live "on" the chicken, so should I assume these are lice? They are brown specks that I wouldn't know were living if I didn't see them move!

Last edited:
I suspect you might be dealing with an Ecoli infection in Zebee. The mites didnt help the situation neither by weakening her immune system due to blood loss. Since you seem have the mite situation under control, I'll address the possible Ecoli infection.
Antibiotics will treat Ecoli infections; SMZ-TMP or Baytril will treat it. However, you need her to eat first before giving her any meds. She needs to get back her strength.

I recommend giving her plain boiled white rice mixed with buttermilk to eat for several days, not yogurt. Buttermilk is a better probiotic than yogurt and it coats intestinal lining, protecting and delaying effects of coccidiosis and slowing the effects of ecoli infections. The boiled rice will help settle her innards. The combination should stop diarrhea and firm up feces. You can add a little feed in the mixture and keep the mixture on liquidy side with the buttermilk and stir it up.

Hopefully you'll soon see improvement and if she returns to eating normally, you may not have to give any of the antibiotics I mentioned.

I suspect you might be dealing with an Ecoli infection in Zebee. The mites didnt help the situation neither by weakening her immune system due to blood loss. Since you seem have the mite situation under control, I'll address the possible Ecoli infection.
Antibiotics will treat Ecoli infections; SMZ-TMP or Baytril will treat it. However, you need her to eat first before giving her any meds. She needs to get back her strength.

I recommend giving her plain boiled white rice mixed with buttermilk to eat for several days, not yogurt. Buttermilk is a better probiotic than yogurt and it coats intestinal lining, protecting and delaying effects of coccidiosis and slowing the effects of ecoli infections. The boiled rice will help settle her innards. The combination should stop diarrhea and firm up feces. You can add a little feed in the mixture and keep the mixture on liquidy side with the buttermilk and stir it up.

Hopefully you'll soon see improvement and if she returns to eating normally, you may not have to give any of the antibiotics I mentioned.
Fantastic! I will try this ASAP. I already had some rice cooking to feed them anyway!! Thank you so much. So, since the bugs are living on my birds, do you think they are mites, or lice? or something else. Someone posted that mites don't live on the birds, but these such were.

Mites don't usually, but there are more than one kind. Lice are larger, but def live on the bird.

Either way, permethrin will do the trick. Treat the entire flock and the coop asap. Then do it again after a week.

Mites don't usually, but there are more than one kind. Lice are larger, but def live on the bird.

Either way, permethrin will do the trick. Treat the entire flock and the coop asap. Then do it again after a week.
Coop is completely soaked with Permethrin (inside and out) and birds got a full body dip in a bucket of it.

Went out a few minutes ago and Zebee was standing!
Still can't walk, but she was standing. I got a bowl of water and set in front of her and she is drinking and drinking and drinking!!

Hopefully it was just the mites afterall, but I'm still going to do the buttermilk/rice as Dawg53 suggests, just to be on the safe side.
It can't hurt. I will force feed her with a syringe if I have to.

Definitely mites. Lice are white/off white or "straw" in color.
If you have a magnifying glass; mites have 8 legs, lice 6

Definitely mites. Lice are white/off white or "straw" in color.
If you have a magnifying glass; mites have 8 legs, lice 6 legs.
Good info. I'll have to find one and look at it under the magnifying glass. I'm curious now!
I wonder why people say mites don't live on the chickens and only come out at night. These definitely were living on my birds! Sometimes there is just as much bad info out there as there is good! Thanks again!!!

Good info. I'll have to find one and look at it under the magnifying glass. I'm curious now!
I wonder why people say mites don't live on the chickens and only come out at night. These definitely were living on my birds! Sometimes there is just as much bad info out there as there is good! Thanks again!!!
There are certain mites that live on chickens, some others dont.

Since your soil has been wet most of the time, and in the near future after Zebee gets better, consider worming all your birds with Valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer.
Dosage is 1/2ml given orally to each chicken and repeat again in 10 days. Use a syringe without a needle to administer it orally. Springtime is worm time.

There are certain mites that live on chickens, some others dont.

Since your soil has been wet most of the time, and in the near future after Zebee gets better, consider worming all your birds with Valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer.
Dosage is 1/2ml given orally to each chicken and repeat again in 10 days. Use a syringe without a needle to administer it orally. Springtime is worm time.
Thanks, can this be bought at TSC or local co-op?

Coop is completely soaked with Permethrin (inside and out) and birds got a full body dip in a bucket of it.
Remember to repeat treatment every 7-10 days to get the new ones that hatch.
At least 2 or maybe 3 treatments, until you see no live bugs.

Back
Top Bottom