won't eat or drink, HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by anitalogan, Aug 2, 2011.

1. anitalogan

anitalogan Out Of The Brooder

Oh please help before she dies.
    Since Sunday she has not eaten or drank. She has yellow diarrhea. She is about 1 year old buff orpington, never sick before. Now she is just sitting under a shady tree with her eyes closed. I am afraid for her life.

2. GA_in_GA

GA_in_GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    May be the heat. She needs to cool off if it is. This will bump the thread, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will answer

3. anitalogan

The other chickens aren't having any problems. My yard is lined with leyland cypress, under which they cool off nicely and dig holes.

4. GA_in_GA

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    I am still a newbie, so really do not know how to help. She does need fluids, regardless or the heat will affect her

5. GA_in_GA

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
  6. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    check her crop, see if there is any food in there, be sure it's not hard (impacted) cool her by putting her legs in cool water

7. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    If her crop is hard, massage it and try to get her to have some mineral oil, I did it by soaking bread, they love bread

8. GA_in_GA

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  9. anitalogan

I am at work until 7pm eastern tonight. I pray that she makes it until I can get home and check her crop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by