1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

wont eat or drink.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Countrypunk92, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    I have a blrw hen who is sick and wont eat or drink.
    I put duramicin in her water yesterday due to her making gurgling noises( mucus) and tosay she will not eat or drink at all.
    Help?

2. Countrypunk92

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Her poop is normal, wmpty crop, sounds congested. She walks around and isnt. Lethargic. But wont eat or drink.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:She's not drinking the duramycin treated water neither because she's sick. Use a syringe without a needle and draw a syringeful from the mixture and give it to her orally. You can pull the wattles down and her mouth will open, slowly squirt it in and release the wattles so that she'll swallow it on her own. You'll have to administer it this way at least 4-5 times a day til she can drink it on her own.

4. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

Don't hold her head back though. She has to swallow it on her own or she may aspirate and that is almost certain death. Try some VetRx or Vicks to give her a little relief. You can hold her beak down and do percussions on her back to try to get her to bring some of the mucous up.

5. Countrypunk92

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Thank you both, I hae been administring water through a dropper. she has been drinking it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by