1. E-AK(TM)

E-AK(TM) Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    i recently rceived two young conures (not that young, can fly and have feathers) and no matter what i give them they wont eat.
    any suggestions?

2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    What were they fed before you got them? If at all possible, try to find out and feed them that first. Then slowly introduce new foods mixed into their old food.

3. E-AK(TM)

May 29, 2011
    i dont know what they usd to eat

4. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    If you can ask the people you got them from wha they used to eat, that would be best. Birds that don't want to eat will actually starve themselves until you give them something they see as yummy. If you can't get ahold of the previous owners, then you will probably just have to try a little bit of everything. Seeds, pellets, different brands, etc. Also, try giving a wide variety of fruits and veggies. Sometimes stress will cause them not to eat until they settle in so if you just got them don't worry too much. Chances are they are just getting used to their new surroundings. Otherwise, just give them a selection of different things until you find something they like. Then very, very slowly introduce what you would like them to eat. Eventually you should be able to make a switch.

5. E-AK(TM)

May 29, 2011
    i tried some crushed ripe bananas and squeezed orange juice and spoonfed them . One ate and seemed to like it but the other just runs away or tries to bite me.

6. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    What kinds of feeds (like seeds or pellets) have you tried? I definitely recommend a pelleted diet supplemented with nuts, veggies, and fruits for these guys, but sometimes people feed them those weird petstore mixes with seeds and what not. It might be worth a try if they are definitely not eating. I wouldn't keep them on that though. Some bird stores hand out samples of food. It might be worth a try asking if they have any samples so you don't have to buy a whole bag! Also, dried fruits are good and the birds at the sanctuary love nutriberries. You could try some plain nutriberries. Just go easy on the fruits if they do start eating them. Too many sweets can turn their droppings real watery.

I would probably just move them to a quieter area for a couple of days and leave them alone as much as possible until they get adjusted. Once they settle in, then you can interact with them all you want. Right now it sounds to me like they are just stressed. Hopefully they will eat for you in a day or so! be sure to keep us updated and feel free to ask any other questions.

7. E-AK(TM)

May 29, 2011
    I haven't got the pellets yet but i tried spoon feeding them som e parrot vita mix ( sunflowers, pumpkin seeds mix etc. ) one takes the seeds off the spoon but is unable to open them. seems he's too young. The other will drink the orange juice from the dropper but tries to run when i give him seeds or try to spoonfeed.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  8. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Try this: take them out of their cage, and have their food dish in front of them. Put some mushy food that you can pick up with your hands. You can try some hot cereal (oatmeal, cream of wheat, etc) that you've let cool down to just above room temperature. Maybe mix in some mashed banana. Feed them by grasping some food with your fingers out of the dish and bringing it to their beaks. Make sure they can see that you are getting the food from in the dish. When they are following your fingers in anticipation of more food, decrease the distance from the dish when you present it, so that they are putting their heads into the dish to get the food from your fingers. Then start moving around the food in the dish, so they can see that what's in there is what you're feeding from your fingers. When they start taking the food from the dish themselves, bring them back to the cage with the dish at the same time, and start feeding with your fingers again from the dish. Again, decrease the distance from the dish when you present the food, and get them to feed out of the dish again. Think of yourself as the mama bird bringing food to the nest. Teach them that the yummy mushy stuff can be found in the dish. When they get to this stage, start adding food of a different texture, like dry Cheerios and pieces of banana (not mashed). Then start adding dry pellets on top.

Good luck.

[​IMG]

ETA

Oh, if you are getting one bird to eat on its own, make sure that the other can see it eating. Try having both out at the same time. Think of "monkey see, monkey do."

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  9. E-AK(TM)

May 29, 2011
    Finally eating...after a long, painstaking process of continuously coaxing them I finally got them to eat some seeds and fruit on their own. Now, its like they cant stop eating [​IMG] got some cockateil mix (millet seeds, sunflower seeds, pellets etc.) Thanks for all suggestions.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by