1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Won't get off the roost!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by countrygirl4513, Oct 4, 2007.

1. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    Hey all, been a while since I've posted. Here it is. Ever since the dog attack 3 of my 4 infirmary girls (who by the way have healed wonderfully) will not go out side the house. They refuse to. They act like they are scared to death of Whitey(my white langshan roo). He's always skulking about, just waiting to nail one of them. But the infirmary girls have learned that a roo can't nail them if they get up on the roost. Pretty smart, huh? But they are so adamant about not getting off that roost that they will starve themselves and not drink water at all. I have to go in and coddle them and have rigged a way for them to get to water without getting down on the ground. But I'm more worried about the fact that they won't get out and free range with everyone else. Any ideas on how to get them pryed off that roost for good? And why in the world would they act like this? I have to actually pick them off the roosts take them out to the back 40 to get them some sun and fun. But I have to stand guard for them. If Whitey even gets within 50 ft they near climb me to get to safety. What is the deal? And they are very growly when I go in the house. They are very vocal. Ideas?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  2. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    I don't know how old your girls are, but it sounds like they are scared of your rooster. They may not be old enough to breed and he could be hurting them.

I would pen the rooster up and see if their behavior changes. If it does, you might have to change roosters, or keep him penned away from them until they are older.
    Are they OK with the rest of the chickens?

Jean

3. Sabrinainmiss

Sabrinainmiss Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    Gothenburg, Nebraska
    I had this happen with a few of my older hens when my roosters became very "active and overzelous". Once the roosters were gone they came right off the roosts and back to normal. Things are calm again and all hens are happy go lucky.

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I would get rid of your roo, too. Sorry, but just loan him out for a week and see what happens then reintroduce him if they are out and about. If they return to the roost then I would find him a permanent home.

5. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    As long as I'm with them they come off the roost. They know that I will protect them from the roos. I usually just get a cup of coffee, call them out to me and we spend some time free ranging. If the roo gets too close, they are on me like white on rice if I'm sitting down. "Mom save me from the boogy man!!"
    One of the infirmary girls is my brahma that was severly attacked by a dog, a while back. I never dreamed she would make it. She was so badly hurt, I expected the worst. I didn't dare think she would make it, I thought her vent was ruined by the attack, but she has started laying again. So I guess I did right by them when treating their wounds.
    I'd like to get rid of the roo, but nowhere to send him except the cookpot. And at this age he would make better broth than anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by