Won't get up on roost since removing lamp (9 week chicks)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dewey, Dec 7, 2010.

1. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    They've had a light at night until the last 3 nights because 1 still hadn't feathered out completely and would hang out under the light. There's just 5 pullets. They'd get up on their roosts at night, until now, since their night light was removed. They're beyond the age of needing heat at night so I've been weaning them off the light with the mild night temps we've been having. Since then they huddle together in a corner on the floor and won't roost. I've never dealt with this but I've always had spring to summer chicks, never fall to winter chicks.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Easy thing to do is wait til they grow up some more and figure it out on their own. Or you can put them on the roosts at dusk til they get the idea. The may also need to get used to the absence of the light, just because it's a change and they don't adjust to change right away.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I've never had chicks younger than 12 weeks actually roost at night. They practice during the day, but don't roost at night until later. The ONLY chick that ever roosted earlier than that was one hatched & raised by a broody!

I chalk it up to confidence and perfected balance whilst sleeping.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

All my babies have been like that until 2-3 months old (I don't remember exactly). If they are cheeping loudly when they are huddling though, they are cold.

5. dewey

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Thanks to all of you.
    Their roosts are low to the ground and flat, so maybe that would explain the roosting so young.
    They appear confused at evening now, or I just took it that way, lol, with their sleeping on the ground and on an end area that they wouldn't bother with before.
    With their recent behavior I just wanted to be sure I didn't do a big light-weaning no-no by removing the light. Maybe I'll put it back in for a while. They appear to be their normal happy selves during the day.
    Thanks again!

6. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Myabe you can put the light on a timer. So it turns off itself maybe an hour or two after they are on their roost and asleep.

7. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    If the light goes off when they are awake, they will have a hard time finding their roost.
    Mine took a long time to figure out the roost thing. They'll get it. I thought mine never would, but I went out one night and they were all lined up on the roost sleeping. If they sleep in the nest boxes, block those off.

8. dewey

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Thanks again, everybody. Yesterday by dusk they all were up roosted again as usual (minus a light).
    After removing the light I think they didn't know, understandably, that it would become darker so maybe they just got caught on the ground those first few evenings. I feel like a terrible chick parent if they were actually afraid in the dark and not just a bit confused. Maybe now they've got it figured out, but the timer ideas are good ones, too.

9. eggsontoast

eggsontoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    North Atlanta suburbs
    I put a stick balanced with a brick on each end in my "coop" (a kennel)...my 8 week olds ignored it. One of them "roosted" on the brick though! I guess it's the perfect height/width. Since they're not into the stick as a roost, I decided to just leave the bricks in there for them to climb on.

10. dewey

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Quote:Sounds like they're comfy on it! My roosts are flat boards.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by