Won't go in after dark

kmacinnis

In the Brooder
May 10, 2015
New Ipswich NH
I have one hen who has suddenly refused to go in coop at night. She prefers to stay in run on outside roost branch while all others go inside. My main concern is predators but I am also concerned about temp since its been running into the 30's amd high 20's .
Should I just keep physically moving her into coop at night ? Or let her be ? Let me know your thoughts ?

Could it be one if the following ?
A. Roost in run is higher than inside coop
B. Christmas lights outside near run illuminate the run (could prefer instead of dark)
Yes, to both...any change can change their behavior.

Has the high run roost always been there?
When did you put the lights up in relation to her staying out?

I'd just put her inside until she gets the idea, should only take a week if that.
If that doesn't work, take the run roost down.

I have one hen who has suddenly refused to go in coop at night. She prefers to stay in run on outside roost branch while all others go inside. My main concern is predators but I am also concerned about temp since its been running into the 30's amd high 20's .
Should I just keep physically moving her into coop at night ? Or let her be ? Let me know your thoughts ?
Since she previously would go into the coop, a sudden change in behavior must have a reason.

Is she lowest in the order and having conflict to roost with the flock? That would be my #1 guess.

Try moving her to the coop and monitor the events inside.

Could it be one if the following ?
A. Roost in run is higher than inside coop
B. Christmas lights outside near run illuminate the run (could prefer instead of dark)

If she's the top of the pecking order, maybe she's "protecting" the rest? I'm thinking of doing Christmas lights for my girls, only because. They're 6wks old & in Hawaii it doesn't get very cold but I leave a light on for them until about 10:30pm, recently turn it off or they're up through the night running around.

She is actually the top of the order and in charge that's what has me baffled !!
That does make this a mystery.

Have you examined her to make sure she has no illness or injury? Is the branch in the run lower than those in the coop? Does she enter the coop at all?

That does make this a mystery.

Have you examined her to make sure she has no illness or injury?  Is the branch in the run lower than those in the coop?  Does she enter the coop at all? 

I don't think she's sick ... And she does go in coop ... The branch may be slightly higher than inside

Back
Top Bottom