Won't go in coop...22 weeks old.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchik715, Jul 20, 2010.

1. newchik715

newchik715 Songster

Aug 31, 2009
    Washington
    So my girls have been outside birds from week four. They have always been free ranged during the day. I used to let them out for an hour or two of supervised ranging. As they have gotten older I have let them stay out all day if i am home and and if I had to go somewhere I would put them back in the coop and let them out again when i got home again. As they get older and stay out longer they are avoiding the coop at almost any cost. There is nothing in the coop with them to be afraid of....just some flies and nothing tragic that i am aware of has happened to them. this has been a gradual thing but now it has gotten so i can not get them back inside for beans and so they are on lock down. I have school in the evenings and am gone til after dark so i have to put them up around 4 or 4.30 but they refuse to go. i get them to the door and at the last possible second they spread in every direction but the one i want them in. Any advice? please?

2. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Songster

Its putting them inside the coop at 430 thats doing it...They are not ready to go in. Closer to winter it shouldnt be so bad for it gets dark earlier but with the sun not setting til 9 pm they want to run for that one last bug.

3. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Could it be too hot inside the coop?

4. nuts4hotwheels

nuts4hotwheels Songster

May 8, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    They are like kids, they dont want to go to bed early. My chickens will go inside right after it gets dark outside which is around 8:30 and then I lock them up.

5. newchik715

newchik715 Songster

Aug 31, 2009
    Washington
    Well i thought it was the time too but even when it is full dusk they will NOT go inside. The coop does not seem too hot at all.

6. kannna

kannna Songster 8 Years

Jul 2, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard
    How do you get them inside? What is your method?

7. newchik715

newchik715 Songster

Aug 31, 2009
    Washington
    Well...to get them inside I have to corner them and then grab tail feathers. No I have not ever pulled one out.
    I used to call them to the coop door with treats and then walk them into the coop. It used to be the easiest thing in the world. The last month though is impossible. I have tried luring with treats, I have tried scaring them so they would run to the safety of the coop, I have chased them until I am too tired. I have waited until they start roosting in my yard and then took them off the perch...but that only works for half of them bc I can only fit three chickens in my arms at one time. the other three take off...and i am afraid they will roost in a tree and something will get them. But I am so frustrated I don't even want to bother!

I have only started grabbing them recently as nothing else has worked. They are not avoiding the coop bc I grab their tails bc this started way before i did it for the first time.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  8. kannna

kannna Songster 8 Years

Jul 2, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard
    Sounds very frustrating.

Have you tried herding them with a long stick. Like sheep. No touching. Just guiding. They stick together in a group for safety. They walk away from the stick. Hold it behind and they move forward, left they go right, right they go left. Mine just see the stick now and head for the pen.

If all else fails use raisins. Mine will do anything for raisins. Maybe make them a pen time only treat. So they associate them as going in the pen being a good thing. [​IMG]

9. alaskachick

alaskachick Songster

Jun 13, 2010
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I live in Alaska so its pretty much light till after midnite. When I can't see them in the yard anymore, about 10 pm, I know they are all in the house on their roosting ladder. I simply go out and close the coop door.

10. newchik715

newchik715 Songster

Aug 31, 2009
    Washington
    i have used the stick and they herd up real nice....until i get to the door....then they bolt....are my chickens just plain nuts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: