Won't go in on their own now that there is no lamp.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Coop de Grille, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I have seven chicks that are 16 weeks old and 22 chicks that are eight and a half weeks old. They are all integrated and getting along just fine now. Last week I turned the heat lamp off (I know, I kept it on too long!) and now they won't put themselves to bed. I find them outside, hunkered down for the night. When I go out there in the evening to close up the coop I have to put them in the coop.

We live pretty rural and our street light is not at the street, but brought back to the side of my house, which lights up a big area including their run. I think it's just too dark inside and they won't put themselves to bed. Should I put the lamp back on but on a timer? How do I teach them to put themselves to bed?

2. pinkribbons4

pinkribbons4 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    Vermont
    We are having the same problem. You could try using a night light. It's working on and off for us. But it's better than the actual heat lamp.

3. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    I bought a 5 dollar LED battery lantern at Walmart that I turn on when it's time for the chickens to go into the coop. If they aren't already in there, they line up as soon as it's turned on and head on in. They want to go where there is light since they don't see well in the dark. Give it or a nightlight a try. You can turn it off once they've settled in, so it doesn't have to be on all night.

4. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Lock them in the coop all day, let them out about an hour before sunset. They will mill around and then go to bed. If you have a ramp they might need a lil' guidance.

Let them out earlier and earlier each few days.

5. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I have put a smaller light in the coop and that has solved the problem. I think the street light lighting up my yard screws them up. I'm going to put the small light on a timer so it will go off after about an hour. I'd really like to install a soda bottle light in the roof so they will have some sort of ambient lighting in there that won't effect my electric bill.

6. kmatt87

kmatt87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    maybe pick up a solar powered yard light and use that.
    I can pick up single lights at walmart for less then $3 each right now.
    And i just gave myself an idea too!! lol, i should go and pick one up for my coop in case we have the same issue.

7. rikithemonk

rikithemonk Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Mont Dora Florida
    I was actually thinking of doing something similar using these.

[​IMG]

The plastic difuser lense on these can be pulled right of the stick leaving the dome and and the lid/solar panel. I was considering cutting a round hole in the wall of my coop big enough for the dome and using anhesive caulk to glue it in place. The solar pannel would still be outside in the sun and the chickens would get some light for a while at night. Most of these run three or four hours before the battery discharges, so that even though they get some light, Its not on all night.

What do you guys think?

Riki

8. kmatt87

kmatt87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado

would any animals be able to pop the dome out of your coop and get in that way?

9. rikithemonk

rikithemonk Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Mont Dora Florida
    True. The hole would be around two and a half or three inches wide to install the light in the example pic. I have seen thinner ones that are more stick like. The hole for them would be inch or inch and a half. Those are the real cheap ones that don't give much light or last as long. The problem with my idea is securing it to the coop. The lid on these lights would form a lip around the hole. I suppose you could pre drill some holes and attach with screws.

[​IMG]

Not sure how predator proof it would be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by