1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Won't go in the coop on their own at night

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchickgal, Jul 20, 2011.

1. newchickgal

newchickgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Republic of Panama
    My two hens have a nice roomy coop to spend the night in. They used to already be up in it, sitting on the roost, when I go out at about 7pm to close the door to it. Lately though, the past few nights, they are still in their run, even at 7:30. So I scoop them up and get them settled into the coop for the night. What's up with that? Any ideas?

2. 2overeasy000

2overeasy000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Coop too hot?

3. blitz1976

blitz1976 New Egg

Jul 8, 2011
    I dont want to hijack your thread, but im having the same issue and I thought this would be better than 2 separate posts. Here is my situation though:

My girls finally get the idea of roosting after many nights of me putting them on the roost at dark. They now finally go up at dusk to roost...except they need my help. I made a new access panel near the roosting bars so I could easily set them on it since I cant actually get into my coop. I have been leaning a board up to that entrance which is 1 foot of the ground and is at roost level. I do this so they can walk up it easily and step onto the roost. The problem is that they get to the coop and just wait there and wont go in. They play musical chickens, each one going up in line to look inside, wait and then jump back down. Its not until I shine a flashlight inside so they can see the roosts a little better, mind you I can see the roosts, but im not sure how well they can. Although previous training nights shows me that they can fly over my 5 foot fence when its very dim out. Will they eventuallly get it or will I need to provide light in there...I dont think I should have to permanently.

4. newchickgal

Nov 17, 2009
    Republic of Panama
    Quote:The coop is as cool as being outside, it is ventilated all the way around with only the nesting boxes closed in on three sides. It could be though about it being too dark to see, I'm not sure how good of eyes chickens have. So tonight I will leave the porch light on and see what happens. I know that they don't have a problem getting up into the coop, they do it all the time during the day.

5. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    My girls don't roost until about 8:30 or sometimes a bit later. It seems to depend on the "mother hen", Liza. When she goes, they all follow.

6. Poppafrog

Poppafrog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Horn Lake MS
    My RIR does not go into coop untill 830 or so. I think they spend most of the day in the shade under coop that when the sun goes down they like to just chill as long as possible before going to roost. Its been 98degrees here with high humidity so I dont blame them.

7. newchickgal

Nov 17, 2009
    Republic of Panama
    It looks like I'll have to push their 'beddy' time back a bit, I'll try it at about 8pm, which is usually the time I go to bed. I just have to retrain my brain clock and remember to do it!

8. 1MrsMagoo

1MrsMagoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    St Tammany Parish LA
    I gave mine a 15 watt lightbulb inside the coop that I turn on around 6-7 and off when everyone is in: Works like a charm. I have one or two that I usually have to wait on every night, but nobody stays out till it's all the way dark other than the silly guineas. I usually see them coming across the lawn and open the human door to the coop and stand their calling them: They head straight for the lit doorway. It is just enough light to see, but not enough to be bright.

PS.....I remember reading another thread where the chickens would not go into their coop. Turns out the coop had been infested with mites and going in meant being bit. Not saying you have bug issues...just something to maybe check on if their behavior doesn't go back to normal.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  9. newchickgal

Nov 17, 2009
    Republic of Panama
    Quote:I don't think that's the case. They are in and out all day long and still use the nesting box inside the coop. Maybe they are just being typical teenagers by staying up past their bedtime? No offense to our teenage BYC members! [​IMG]

10. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with the light thing, it worked for me!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by