Won't go into coup at night

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mercede81, Aug 25, 2013.

1. mercede81

mercede81 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2013
    Only one of my chickens won't go into her coop at night, all the rest are roosting safely inside and she is still out wondering around, flying into the house, or perching on the swimming pool ladder. We have to hunt her down each night and put her in the coop with the rest of the chickens. She has been going into the coop every night for 6 months or more with no problem, now she isn't. What do you think the problem could be?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, mercede81, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Don't know what your weather is like but I sometimes have a bird that doesn't want to go into the coop on super hot and humid evenings. Another thing it might be with your bird is pecking order - if she is getting picked on in the coop she might be reluctant to enter. Good luck to you!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

I agree with Redsox - and you might try luring the birds into the coop before dusk with some treats, and then closing them in for the night, to help her relearn where she roosts.

1 person likes this.
  5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Apart from possible bullying or weather another possibility is that you might have red mites in the coop. They don't live on the birds, but hide in cracks and crevices in the coop instead, coming out at night to feed when the birds are sleeping. If the chickens figure out that there pests in the coop they may be reluctant to go in there to sleep, preferring instead to sleep in a spot outside where they will be left in peace. More info and them and treatments here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mites-chicken-pests-how-to-protect-your-chickens-from-mites

1 person likes this.
  6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

7. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by