Won't hold my breath but chick breed?NO PICS

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chooniecat, May 10, 2011.

1. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    I KNOW pics would probably solve my problem but my camera is pretty much dead(dropped too many times!)SO picked up 4 chicks from an urban seller(I KNEW this would happen when TLC had chic days-sad) and the seller claimed 1 was a cock(NOT a definit truth-she bought from straight run bin but the breed is correct I BELIEVE, barred rock, she just told me "rock" but...) and 3 were bought as RIR pulets(sex may be right but 2 are the same and one is TOTALLY yellow still?) the 2 that are the same have developed(and I don't know coloration terms so..) different colors going horizontally on their verticle wings. they do NOT look like any RIR chicks I have looked up. the 3rd RIR(?) is the one thats still totally yellow(and a little creamier coloration) ANYHOW if anyone has pics or know where some good pics are for 2 week old RIR's or ANY 2 wk. old common laying chick(which is mostly what TLC sells) I would be appreciative. They're adorable one way or the other but I am curious as to what I have now!!!!!!! thanks![​IMG]

oh funny- I typed tlc and not tsc(love the chix!)

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  2. lutz123

lutz123 Chillin' With My Peeps

I haven't a clue what to tell you as I am a newbie, but my RIR TSC pullets were darker chicks (rustier) than the buffs, and their feathering was stripey & brown - not what I expected, but what I've learned is normal. They are now, at 3+ weeks, getting more red feathers.Can you find an online picture that resembles yours? That might help.

3. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    I have been TRYING but as I bet you've learned they change quick and typing in " pix of 10 day old chicks" doesn't turn up too much. not even on BYC but I will keep trying. Yeah-I have never had RIR babies so this is new to me and they MAY be and you say yours have stripes so if they are its all good. But like I said the 3rd supposed RIR is totally yellowish. no stripes or anything. mystery layers. thats my job today is to look more on here and try to narrow it down.

4. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    If you had a web cam you could try it that way or borrow someones web cam or camera...

5. AZSummer

AZSummer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    My Barred Rock was almost entirely black as a new hatchling. She quickly started getting black/white striping on her flight feathers. I think it started about 2 weeks. Perhaps that's just when I noticed it. Does your first look like that?

For the RIRs, I don't have a picture of them at 10 days. I have a picture at about 1 week and another at about 2 weeks.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Could the last be a buff orpington? They're yellow and fairly common.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by