1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wont lay?...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by arherp, Dec 24, 2009.

1. arherp

arherp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    I bought some 1.5 year old bantams a month or two ago, have lights on them, everything, but they wont lay. Any thoughts?

2. arherp

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    Any ideas?

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    What is your weather like? Even my reliable runner has stopped laying now, but it is darn cold in CO right now. Also I have noticed with my ducks it takes them a while to adjust to their new home before they start laying. Maybe chickens are the same way?

4. arherp

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    The weather is oddly mild.. I am able to walk out in a t-shirt, so mid forties I would say. I have had them for nearly two months, that's gotta be enough adjustment time? Ugggggggghhhhh. These pesky birds can be so annoying!

5. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I have 5 pullets, of which only two are laying. My Barred Rock - Adidas 7/20 hatching and my Golden Laced Wyandotte DOT hatched 5/15

Dot just started laying this week almost an egg a day and Adidas began laying three days earlier.

I have another GLW who hatched same day and nothing from her but Mr. Rooster does try to breed with her. I also have two SLW hatched same day at Adidas but I understand SLW are slow to mature - although the one SLW has a fully red and blossomed rose comb and the other does not. Everyone is bright red in the combs. The Rooster tries to breed with everyone in the harem but the one with the slightly less developed comb.

I upped the amount of protein I gave them. I don't know if that made a difference to my girls who lay eggs or not. I cut out the treats and I let them free range under supervison for a couple of hours each day twice a day - We had a fox try to take off with my roo this week but I chased after it and it dropped him (Lucky Bird I know!!!) He is fine and back to work.

It has been so hot and then so cold here. I am not sure about the light but we just had the shortest day so I did not see a reason to supplement the light. We are in the sunshine state here in Jacksonville.

I hear a lot of people complain about no eggs and I am wondering if you got the same advice as me to skip grower and feed layer which I should not have done but the people at the feed store I used to shop at said it was the same except the price. That was not true by the way. I was too trusting to know.

Caroline

6. arherp

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    I didnt raise these from chicks, but I imagine that if you skip the 20%/16% grower feeds that that makes them a little weaker, and slower growing. Slower growth means a longer time until they lay.

7. arherp

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    Anyone?

8. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    Have they molted? My girls stopped laying when the days got shorter and went thru a molt. They just started to lay again 2 weeks ago. They have been under lights for about a month or 6 weeks. Its been cold here in Maine too but its also had periods of warm early fall weather. The weather has been so odd that even my horses and goats are messed up!

9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Here's some thoughts. How well did you know the owner 1.5 years they should be laying. I have two bantams less than a year and even with the cold they're laying 2 for 2 tday. I have some marans and get 3-5 for 5. the others 12-18 from 19. It has been cold too. So I would ask, are you feeding them layer? The weather can't be a factor since it's warmer there. Though it is supposed to be in the high thirties. No snow OMG. Are they with other birds? How many did you buy? How many are they with newbies that is? Is there only one feeder? Sometimes they may just get enough to stay alive if they are on the low end of the pecking order. You may need to put in another feeder. Are they with a new roo? Are they a new to you breed? Some breeds don't mix well. I've got an SLW who looks pecked on and I suspect she may be on the low end of the totem pole. Somedays I don't let them out so she has little space to run. Check the breed some breeds lay rarely other more often. That's why its good to check if egg laying is important. RIR and GC's are prolific Dominiques not so much.

10. OhMyItsAndyy

OhMyItsAndyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    West England
    What are you feeding them?
    Pellets and such are good for them so more of that if you're not already doing so.
    Daylight also, they get the sun?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by