wont lay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by megachick, Sep 21, 2011.

1. megachick

megachick New Egg

Sep 21, 2011
    my mom has chickes and they used to lay now none will how old are they when they stop laying and why wont the new ones lay?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

Can you give us some more info.? How old are these hens? What are their living conditions like? What do they eat?

There's lots of reasons hens stop laying or don't start, but we need a little more info. in order to help you.

Also, you may want to check out this link:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=423023

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  3. shelby528

shelby528 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Ontario
    Could be anything....molting...stress..not enough feed..wrong combination of feed...Best thing to do is monitor the flock and narrow your choices down. [​IMG]

4. megachick

megachick New Egg

Sep 21, 2011
    they are 2 years old and the new ones are 8 months. they have been on the same food and oyster shell well forever the just stopped in the last couple months and the new ones never started.the live in a coop that they go outside all the time. its a big run outside.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Are you seeing lots of feathers around in the coop? Could be molting.
    Are they under stress? Has anything changed in their world? That can cause a stop in laying too.
    Is there any place they could be hiding their eggs from you?

I hate to answer your question with more questions, just trying to help you narrow it down. [​IMG]

6. megachick

megachick New Egg

Sep 21, 2011
    yeah they are some feathers . i don't think there under stress.

7. shelby528

shelby528 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Ontario
    its more than likely they are stressed. Chickens get stressed by weather, noises there not accustomed to, anything really. Its more likely there molting which means there just taking a break. The new ones could be just taking on a different cycle, I had a bantam japanese hen who didnt lay for a year and then one day I went out and whala there were eggs everyday. I wouldnt worry about it...not yet anyways keep checking for signs of distress, bugs around their vent or any unwanted animals in the coop.

8. megachick

megachick New Egg

Sep 21, 2011
    ok thanks i will keep a eye on things

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by