Wont leave coop

Ksukallie

Hatching
Jun 8, 2020
Hi everyone!

I have 12 free-range hens that stay in the coop at night. As of today, they are 11 weeks old. Over the course of the last 3-4 days, I noticed one hen, a Black Asian, wont leave the coop and join the others to grub hunt. At first, I thought she may just be really hot and enjoying the fan, but after having done it a few days, I'm wondering if shes being bullied or is the last of the pecking order but I dont see any injury. Being 11 weeks I doubt shed be broody already.

Today I picked her up and had to physically take her outside. She squawked a bit in distress and I shut the coop door before she could run back in....picked her up again and set her near the others in the bushes. She then began scratching and it was obvious shes a week behind than the others because she didnt know what to look for really while the others were snatching up bugs. I was hoping to get her in the group would help her a bit but not sure.

Any ideas?

Does she have any issues with her eyes? Eating and drinking ok? My chicks usually hunt and scratch far earlier than 11 weeks, she should know to forage.

I think so, she does it inside the coop with the scratch feed or with any treats, but thats something good to look for. I wonder if her eyes are light sensitive.

I think so, she does it inside the coop with the scratch feed or with any treats, but thats something good to look for. I wonder if her eyes are light sensitive.
I would wonder also. It could be she has no clue there are good things to eat out there too. Maybe the others will show her what to do. You could try sprinkling a bit of scratch out under the bush to encourage her to learn also.

Does she have any issues with her eyes? Eating and drinking ok? My chicks usually hunt and scratch far earlier than 11 weeks, she should know to forage.

Are there any other symptoms, fluffed up feathers, not eating, loose poop...etc? Early on one of my girls was being bullied by the others and I found her hiding in the nesting box (they were not laying yet). Had to seperate her for a while. She's ok now but still at the bottom of the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom