Won't leave coop!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JustPlainTobes, Aug 21, 2014.

1. JustPlainTobes

JustPlainTobes Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2014
    Greenwood, Delaware
    Hello I am new to chickens. We've already had a raccoon attack. I had to nurse one hen back to health. She survived and is ok however we had to keep her inside for quite some time. We have two batches one I bought and one was hatched for me a few weeks after purchasing. The purchased batch were the ones that got attacked by the raccoon and I only have two remaining from that batch. Come time to put the hen back outside the only one she gets along with is the rooster from her batch. All the others pick on her and she will not leave the coop to eat. I have started placing a little food in the nesting box she refuses to leave and left water in the coop. I'm worried she's going to starve to death or something. Any advice is greatly appreciated as I love my little chickens.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    How long was she separated and how did you go about the process of re-introducing her to the flock? It sounds like the two groups were not together pre-attack, is that correct? If so, this isn't even so much a "re" introduction, but a first introduction of your lone girl to the rest of the flock, is that correct? How long has it been since you put her back out?

3. JustPlainTobes

Apr 21, 2014
    Greenwood, Delaware
    She was inside about a month. She had a pretty bad wound. The flocks were not together pre attack. There is one rooster remaining from her original flock. She does fine with that one. I tried to introduce her by letting them mingle in the yard. Previous they were separated but right next to each other so they could be around each other but not get at each other. It was that way for about a month. Then she had to go inside for a month. They don't peck at her to the extent of injury but she is very skittish now and will graze near them when out of the run but inside the run she panics and runs around.

4. JustPlainTobes

Apr 21, 2014
    Greenwood, Delaware
    I and she's only been back out a few days. We work long hours and being that she is all healed up. I thought she would be better outside

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by