Won't roost on bars

llandry

Songster
9 Years
May 8, 2012
jersey shore, nj
I've had chickens for over 10 years now and have never had roosting bar issues. All of my other chickens had a natural instinct to roost at night.

I have a new flock of (14) 5 month old bantams. They took forever to learn to go into the coop at night. Its completely predator proof and they huddled underneath it for the first month they were outside before finally getting the concept of going inside.

It's been roughly 2 to 3 months now and they sleep huddled in the coop in a corner or in a nesting box. If I put them on a bar after it's dark they will keep jumping down.

I've never had chickens refuse to go on the bar!!!

2x4"s and they're roughly a foot off the ground. My large breed hens roosts ranging from 2 to 4 feet high and they love to roost. Since these are bantams i put the roost lower.

They have a great run set up with branches all at one end they roost all day on them. Just not at night.

I have a mixed bantam flock of cochins, Brahmas, millie fluers, Easter Eggers, and silkies.

Hopefully at some point they start to go up there. Some can take longer, and sometimes silkies will remain on the floor.

Have you put them on the roosts during the day? Do they climb on them? They do have to develop strength and balance to sleep on the roost,

Is it colder where you are at? They may still pile for the warmth.

I totally understand. My bantams are 6-8 months old and don’t roost either. During the day they use the roosts but just not at night. They like to huddle together and sleep

Thats exactly what mine are doing!!! They roost all day and huddle at night. I've never experienced this before. It's getting cold at night here. 70 during the day and 45 at night. I even tried putting a light on a timer at dusk to try and get them to feel more comfortable once inside but nope.

Happened with me too! I carried them up one by one onto the roosting bars and they stayed there. After a while of doing that they got used to it and flew up by themselves. : )

Back
Top Bottom