1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

wont roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lilfarmer1978, May 5, 2016.

1. lilfarmer1978

lilfarmer1978 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2016
    Hammond Louisiana
    Friend gave me 5 hens and a rooster 2 weeks ago and they won't roost on their poles, they are 2yrs old and he said they never roosted for him either. What should i do? They are in a nice coop pen but i dont like they on the ground.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Are the roost poles sufficient diameter. They should be 2 inches or larger. I use natural tree branches in my coop. There are sections that are less than 2 inches as well. The bark is on the branches. I filed smooth any protruding knots.
    At dusk, just take a few of them and place on roost. Next day place a few more. Some may develop a liking to the roosts on their own after trying it out.
    WISHING YOU BEST and [​IMG]

3. lilfarmer1978

lilfarmer1978 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2016
    Hammond Louisiana
    Mine are oak branches, they are close to 2 1\2 " in diameter. I will definitely try that tomorrow evening! Thanks for the advice!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by