wont use lay boxes

jmckeon

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 11, 2010
ok bit of a dilemma i have 4 ISA browns that just started laying last week first day i got 2 eggs from them and then went 2-3 days no egss and now been getting 1 egg consistently from them for past 4 days. my dilemma is they wont use the lay boxes at all have had them in there since they were chicks and they have been around the boxes all there lives and wont use them no will the use there roost they just like to huddle up on the floor in a corner at night and sleep not sure why???? also this is where they been laying there eggs in the corner they sleep in. i am thinking i am only getting 1 egg cause its a small corner and once one lays the others refuse(have heard that if a cheken lays it wont lay again till the egg is gone not sure if this is true) i am just very confused as to why they refuse to use the lay boxes the box is about 6 inches off the floor and they have easy access to it but refuse to use it. one last thing i am wondering about is i was told ISA browns lay large to extra large eggs and mine are laying medium sized eggs. is this cause they are new layers or is it a deficiency or something i need to adress also first day had one with a double yolk then no more double yolks since was hoping to get more double yolkers but oh well. would just like to get them to use lay boxes and see if i can increase egg size and production to more than 1 egg per 4 birds a day (lay box has 4 boxes in it 1 for each girl)

please help if you can

Try using a few "nest eggs" or fake eggs or golf balls in the nesting boxes... see other posts on fake eggs, etc.

BTW...
welcome-byc.gif

When I introduced the nest boxes to some who had been using the corner of the coop floor, I had to block as much of the floor as I could with some fencing. I just made that area uncomfy and made the nest boxes comfier. They all use them now, it took one day for them to 'get it' but they all 'reformed.'

i will definately be trying that to see if it helps

now as far as the egg size is this normal ???
as stated told isa browns lay large to extra large and these are mediums is it cause they just started laying or is it something im not doing??

also is there any way to get more than 1 bird to lay or does that tie in to the lay box dilemma

any one have any idea how i can get my girls to lay larger eggs i got them om a laying crumble plus the are out and about in the yard eating up bugs grass and i been giving them lots of treats out of the garden such as tomatoes cucumbers letuce,water mellon (they love the melons) and stuff all the research i have done on isa browns say large to extra large eggs and they are laying medium is this cause they just started laying or will they continue to lay these size eggs ? we are new to chickens and love the girls to death just wish they (4 of them) would lay more(more than 1 egg per 4 birds a day) and would lay larger than medium eggs any and all help apreciated
smile.png

its the chickens age the eggs will get bigger as the chickens grow, my 1st egg was yesterday and it looked like a pidgeon egg , don't worry the will gwt bigger patience and pot a golf ball or plastic easter egg in the nest box

went and got some plastic golf balls tonight gonna put them in the coop tomorrow and see if i can get them on tract to using the lay boxes

update

went out and put the golf balls in the boxes this morning before the girls woke up and pleasant surprise checked on them 2 hours later and one of the girls was in the box laying and another one was poking aroud a box hope she will lay for me in there also still had 1 lay on the floor so got 2 eggs so far today (excited about that) and maybe a thrid if the other lady decides to use one of the boxes also
smile.png

would like to send out a huge thank you to everyone who gave me help on this topic a new problem arose this morning and not sure what to do

freind of mine who bought chicks with me at the same time is a little over burdened with checkens and want to give me 2-4 of his to lean out his flock of 16 some i know the birds no health problems the eat the same food as my girls but not sure if it would be wise to get any dont want to hurt my girls

Last edited:
Glad the gold balls seem to be working!
big_smile.png

Yep, eggs will get bigger with time... patience.
old.gif

I have a friend who also has chickens and we trade chickens back and forth... we have never had a problem... BUT... buyer (or trader or receiver of someones elses chickens) beware! Quarentine is always advisable.
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom