Won't use nest box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Carrie Lynn, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    My Bantam has only been laying about 10 days now but she won't use the box.
    Prior to laying she is restless and squawks like mad. She goes in and out of the box but doesn't stay to lay.
    Should I leave an egg there for her tomorrow to encourage her?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    You could try leaving a golf ball or a plastic Easter egg. She'll figure it out, she's new to the game! [​IMG]

3. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Quote:X2

4. Carrie Lynn

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Thank you [​IMG]

5. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    Mine's been laying for a few weeks, and she still moves around. Recently she's been laying inside the snow blower!! It took me a few days to find them. I'm hoping when the older hens are done molting and start laying that she'll stick closer to them. Esp. when they sing.

PS= the golf ball trick didn't work with her, unfortunately. She ignored it. I seems like she likes toget inside things- before this it was a bundle of plastic deer fence- for real.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  6. Carrie Lynn

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    [​IMG]

7. banjomoon

banjomoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    East Nashville
    My Coop
    Mine are doing the same thing. One of my girls will lay in the nest and the other to layers won't. My big worry is when one goes broody, I may have to move her to the nesting box to keep her from getting pooped on at night. Anyone had problems with that?

8. mumofsix

mumofsix Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2014
    Appalachian
    I have 4 different kinds of nest and out of fifteen all but 3 use the nest. I keep wood eggs in all the nest . Those three lay on the floor in the Hen House . I have tried putting a milk crate where The lay... They move it and still lay on the floor.I tried a Bucket ,a Box and a cat carrier . It's in a corner and very hard for me to get to. These girls have been laying about 2 weeks. any ideals![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by