Won't use the toilet!!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by aidenbaby, May 5, 2009.

1. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I am starting to lose all patience with my son. He is very potty trained and has been for a year. The problem started when he flushed the toilet in the kids bathroom one time and it not only overflowed but the water pipe burst at the same time. This apparently really traumatized him but has been getting worse over time. At first he would use the potty but not flush. That I can deal with to a certain extent. Lately, he will not use the toilet to poop in at all! Yes, that means that he is pooping outside and ON THE FLOOR. I am SO angry right now because he just had one more "accident". I'm trying SO hard to work with him through his fears but I'm just fed up with this. It took ALL my willpower to come in here to talk to you guys about it instead of spanking him. Please someone help.

2. aidenbaby

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    After several deep breaths, I went to my sons room and I told him that we were going to clean up the poop together. I picked it up with paper towels and he was to flush them down the toilet. At first, he tried to throw them in the trash can and I told him no, he had to put them in the potty and flush each time. After he flushed the first one, I praised him and gave him high-fives. He then flushed the next 2 without much hesitation. Both times I praised and high-fived. I told him that I would take care of the rest of it (the actual carpet cleaning part) but that he was not to go poopoo on the carpet again. I now have an action plan in my head to repeat this if he does it again (even the mommy time-out part).

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    You handled that beautifully!!! When mine was potty training he went poo on the carpet right outside the bathroom door! I have no idea why. I would just get upset and clean it up. One time I decided to have him pick it up and flush it. After that he used the potty just so he could see it "go down"!! [​IMG]

He is 14 now and would not be happy if he knew I just told that story!! [​IMG]

4. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    i was going to suggest another toilet but you seem to have taken care of the problem. you might consider showing him how a toilet works (internet) and explain that it was not his fault when it backed up. these things can linger if not handled. good job.

5. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    You did good , my son hasnt actually pooped on the floor but he has pooped his pants a couple times because for whatever 4 year old / boy reason he has he dosnt like going poop on the tolet till after its RIGHT there ready to come out and sometimes he gets it too close , NO idea why he does this [​IMG]
    I have been told from many people that boys are harder to completly potty train but as I havent potty trained a girl I have no point of refrence.

6. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    Quote:Blackmail!!!

7. thechickenchick

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Quote:Blackmail!!!

Oh! I have a picture that I use for that! He is 1 year old and naked! I came into the kitchen and caught him pulling all the canned goods out of the cupboard. He is standing and I got a great shot of those cute little baby butt cheeks!! He hates that pic!!!

8. aidenbaby

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I have one like that except he is taking clothes out of the dryer. It's kind of one of those born to be a bachelor pictures.

9. thechickenchick

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Quote:Sounds great!!! [​IMG]

10. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Quote:You did a great job [​IMG]
    When I was "trying" to potty train my son using the potty was not an option. Thankfully we lived on 10 acres at the time and it was the summer so I just let him go outside naked. Eventually he figured out when he had to go and finally started using the potty. I would leave his potty chair out with him next to the sandbox and instead of peeing next to the sandbox he would use the potty.

Then when my son turned 4 he went through this weird phase where he wouldn't use public bathrooms and I couldn't figure out why. He finally admitted it was because the toilets flushed too loud. It took a while before we could get him to go in and use them again but he did if we agreed not to flush the toilet. It wasn't until he turned 6 that we could start flushing the public toilets [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by