Woo-hoo! DH gave me the OK to buy ducklings!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChickenToes, Jun 11, 2008.

1. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I think I'd like some khaki campbells...what are your favorite breeds? I'm open to all input!

2. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I really love the runners and the calls. The runners are just funny and the calls are so pretty. Plus runners are GREAT egg layers and they come in LOTS of colors. Calls come in lots of colors too but don't lay very well.

I love all the ducks I don't have as well- especially the saxonys - I think I would get those if I were to get another breed, but I don't have room for three breeds of ducks.

I don't really care for the muscoveys though, that would probably be my last choice, along with anything crested - dunno - just don't like those either.

3. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    I am new to ducks, but I think the runners are really cool. I am going to get some next year- good to know that they lay well too! RIght now I have two pekings and a "mystery" duckling that my hub brought home from the feed store...

4. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    I love khaki Campbells - we have just got 2 white khakis - did not know they existed but they are lovely. they are thriving and very chatty - they have settled very quickly and have managed to get used to walking past my horse without too much fear which has taken others weeks!!
    I have had khakis, saxonys, cayugas (black and black eggs!) and a little runner crossed with something else who was really funny but very flighty.

5. duckman

duckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    michigan
    have you seen what cayugas look like? also if you like the look of a mallard then you can get a rouen it is exatcly like a mallard but is domesticated and cant fly.

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Call Ducks are really nice ducks, and are easy to keep. Plus, they are very cute, and come in all different colors.

7. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Can I have YOUR DH call MY DH???? LOL All though, maybe next year I will convince him [​IMG] I have him talked into Guineas and MAYBE turkeys someday [​IMG]

8. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    I have to agree with DuckyBoys about the Runner ducks. I have some and they are so funny. They are a scared breed, but if handled then not so much. My male actually wants me to hold him and pet him. He runs to me whenever I go outside. My female is a little scared of me, but not too bad. She eats grass out of my hand, but doesn't want me to hold or pet her. Also, Runners cannot fly.

As for laying eggs, they are great. My one female has been laying since Sept. 21, 2007 and to today, she has layed 246 eggs. That is 246 eggs out of 266 days. She only missed 20 days so far. I think that is pretty good. The eggs aren't as large as most duck eggs though. They are around the size of a chicken egg.

Hope this helps.

Dorothy

9. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:I got my first ducks this spring. Khakis were my first choice but I didn't find any quick enough. I got two blue swedish and by chance managed to pick out one male and one female. I love them! They're not as friendly as my chickens but they're fun to watch. I still wanted my khakis so Perfectly Polish ordered me a pair. They come next week!!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  10. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I hadn't really given much thought to runners, maybe I'll have to look into that.

My biggest problem is that I only want a few ducks, and most hatcheries have a minimum order of 10.

DuckyBoys - I don't care for muscoveys either. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by