WOO HOO!! First egg(s)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by roverjohn, Aug 12, 2010.

1. roverjohn

roverjohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    KCMO
    Nine girls.
    [email protected] 18.5weeks(3-Golden Comets & three Amber Links) and [email protected] 17.5 weeks( 1 each BR, WR and Red Star)
    Checked on them at lunch and found three nice little eggs and all the girls squawking. Probably one small and two mediums.
    I'm guessing I'm somewhere around $100/egg at this point but it's a start.

2. heksa

heksa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    [​IMG] Congrats! I got my first one today too! It is so tiny compared to store bought ones, but so worth the wait!

3. ChurkLover

ChurkLover Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    St. Louis
    $100/egg?? I'm not familiar with the breeds you listed...are you planning to sell them and really at that price? I think we paid $1 a piece for our chicks (RIR, GLW, BPR). I wasn't sure if you were joking or serious since I am unfamiliar with the breeds and I know some are expensive. If you can sell them for $100 and you got this many already...good for you! I think I'll quit my day job.... [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[​IMG]

No, the OP was calculating how much each egg COST, after having built the coop and all that!

5. roverjohn

Apr 7, 2010
    KCMO
    Rightio Linda:thumbsup

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  6. guinness

guinness New Egg

May 25, 2010
    Fini's Plant Farm
    Must be something in the air, got our first $300 egg today...
    [​IMG]

7. ChurkLover

ChurkLover Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    St. Louis
    Got it...boy...what was I thinking? Our eggs started pretty small as well and I heard they get bigger as the hens produce more and more eggs. It's been about a month now and ours are finally starting to get out of the "miniature" stage and almost to medium. Your hens should start producing more per day also and then maybe you'll break even by Christmas???? It does end up costing a bit to get started... thanks for clarifying for me gryeyes

8. clothdiaperingmom

clothdiaperingmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    Sweetwater, TX
    Congrats!! The eggs will get bigger!!

I got my 1st egg 6/16/10!! It was from my Gold sex link (comet). She wasnt even 4 months old yet. And was followed by my other Gold sex link about 1 wk later. Its soooooooooo eggggggsiting!!!!!
    Im just as eggsited every day when I go out and there are 3 eggs, usually followed later in the day by another 3.
    And talk about tiny!!! My cochins eggs are tiny!!
    Congrats!

9. roverjohn

Apr 7, 2010
    KCMO
    Guiness,
    Next one and you'll only be into it for $150
    Go Girls!!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  10. guinness

guinness New Egg

May 25, 2010
    Fini's Plant Farm
    Quote:[​IMG]

Not good at math, but maybe someday they'll start paying me...till then I guess we'll just enjoy the ride.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by