1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WOO HOO Hatching Chicks. :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kylie 28, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Kylie 28

Kylie 28 New Egg

Dec 8, 2013
    Hi everyone, Hope all had a wonderful Christmas

Well I have an up date on my baby chicks. I wont get into the disappointing news. So heres the happy news.
    I have has 3 eggs hatch so far, they are doing well. I had one hatch 2 days ago but didnt make it. I had one that started to hatch but died in the process :(
    I now have another that is hatching. My question is: Mum isnt sitting on the egg. The little chick is breathing and chirping but the casing inside the egg has dried to the chick and I saw some ants crawling over it. Will the baby chick be ok or should I do something to help it. Please help, I dont want to lose another. :)

Thanks Kylie 28

2. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    At that point I would jump in. Take the egg in the bathroom turn on the hot water in the shower and sink close all doors and windows to get the humidity up, and peel the stuff off the chick.

Good luck, results very for me at this point.

3. Kylie 28

Kylie 28 New Egg

Dec 8, 2013
    Thank you so much Makomd.

I got the egg off, I dont think it is going to survive. Its breathing has slowed down and it is very floppy. I have put it under a light in an oven mit. I have never done this before so all my fingers are crossed.

Thank you again.

4. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    If things don't work out just remember you tried to give him/her a chance. Quite often they do not make it, but when it gets to that point I do jump in and try to help.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by