Woo-hoo! I hear cheeping coming from the serama eggs in the bator!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by erinlee, Jul 8, 2010.

1. erinlee

erinlee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    Baldwin MI
    I'm on day 18 with 5 little serama eggs in the bator. I started with 9; 5 made it to lockdown and I'm pretty sure I saw movement on all 5 when candled before going on lockdown. This is the first time I've hatched chicken eggs; although I've hatched many button quail eggs and I used to raise parrots so I've hatched many of those out as well. It's been a few years, but I dusted the incubator off after being in storage for a few years and set some eggs I got from someone selling serama eggs on craigslist that was not too far from me.

I've been anxiously awaiting the hatch; I swear I check on the eggs through the window in the bator every hour LOL. My husband thinks I'm crazy that I keep going in there to stare at the eggs. I thought I heard a faint cheeping coming from the eggs off and on this afternoon; and when I was in there just a while ago I heard a very definate cheep! Yeah I'm so happy. [​IMG] Keeping my fingers crossed that the little ones hatch out!

2. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Everyone seems to have so much fun hatching their own eggs! Hope it goes well! It must be very cool to have an egg and then all of a sudden a baby chick. All this excitement is not helping my growing affliction of chicken math...

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    That's great! I hope they all hatch out nice and healthy for you. Also hoping they're not all little boys. [​IMG]

4. erinlee

Jun 11, 2010
    Baldwin MI
    I know..this chicken math thing is terrible! I started out wanting maybe 6-8 hens....I ended up ordering 10 chicks from BYC, rationalizing that most likely odds were that at least one would die in shipment, and at least one would be a rooster. Of course all 10 are here happy and healthy and almost 3 weeks old now. I'm so attached to them even if one of them does end up being a rooster I'll probably keep him! And now I've got 5 more little serama eggs in the bator hoping they will hatch out.... so only 3 weeks into owning chickens and I went from 6 to possibly 15....hmmmm darn chicken math!

5. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:*cackles* I'd do the same thing if my incubators weren't out in the wellhouse! I hope you have a great hatch!!

6. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I have 30 adult birds, 5 chicks, 3-2 month old Call ducks AND...17 Call eggs, 9 Sumatra and 24 Pyncheon eggs in the incubator all set to hatch between the 17th-23rd of this month so that equals...what about 12 birds total?????? [​IMG]
    It is ridiculously addicting!
    I LOVE my birds. [​IMG]

7. NaomiSarah

NaomiSarah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG] Glad to have another former-parrot-new-chicken hatcher here!!! :-D

8. erinlee

Jun 11, 2010
    Baldwin MI
    Quote:I think I've seen a couple people on here that used to raise parrots. I don't know about you; but I'm looking forward to hatching some eggs out and not being on an around-the clock handfeeding schedule!

easttxchick - Wow, you've got a bad case of chicken math going on there. LOL You are right though, it is addicting! I keep saying who knew that chickens were so much fun?! I sure didn't!

9. NaomiSarah

NaomiSarah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    Erinlee, I was looking forward to the same thing when a few little robins eggs fell into my lap. Back on the round the clock schedule lol!

10. erinlee

Jun 11, 2010
    Baldwin MI
    Arggghhhh. Still no progress. One of the eggs has a little "dent" in it; where he started to pip but hasn't broken all the way through. It has been like that since this morning. Does it normally take them that long to even pip? I do still hear an occassional, faint cheep. None of the other eggs show any signs.

So hard to be patient!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by