Woo Hoo my first egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by harleyjo, Aug 30, 2010.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I got my first egg today. [​IMG] I think it is one of my black sex links. They are nineteen weeks today. I thought they were 19 last week but I recounted and it is today. I am sure the rest will be starting soon. We also heard the rooster crow for the first time! Can we eat these first eggs?[​IMG]

[​IMG][/img]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  2. CCFarms9559

CCFarms9559 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Jeffersontown, Ky
    We ate our first eggs. As long as they are not soft - or too terribly dirty I don't see why not. Look at the shells - are they hard, even, etc. If so - go for it!

3. miladachicken

miladachicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2009
    Oregon
    First eggs are the best! [​IMG] If you are as obsessed about your "Babies" as I am, you can preserve the mini egg shells by putting a small hole in the top and bottom and blow the insides into a bowl! Yay for you!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

(I wouldn't worry at all about egg shell condition, I would eat any egg that my chickens produce! Even eggs with soft shell are fine to eat)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  4. GermanChick

GermanChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    [​IMG][​IMG]:ya

5. Lynette

Lynette Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Congrats on your first egg! I got my second egg today and I am so happy.

6. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Congratulations!! And absolutely, the first egg is no different from the next hundred, it may even seem to taste better b/c it's your first! [​IMG] Enjoy!!

7. LarrySC

LarrySC Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2010
    congrats;; it is a big day..

8. BetterHensandGardens

BetterHensandGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Clinton, OH
  9. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I just love it.... and then to hear the rooster crowing when we got home was fun too!

10. chickens in the yard

chickens in the yard Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    Love it~~How Fun![​IMG] I have about a few weeks yet to go! Have 23 chickie girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by