WOO HOO Someone's Laying!!! We are Hatched!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Fudgie, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

DD normally takes care of the chicks and ducks so I don't have to. NICEEEE!!! [​IMG] Anyway, DD needed to be away from the house and I did her chores. While out there, I decided the geese and ducks needed some more hay to fluff up their pad to make it warmer! It was getting frigid outside. While fluffing, I caught sight of an egg in the dog box! [​IMG] They have a big dog box carrier thingy that they can go in for added warmth....but they never go in there or so we thought! Anyway, I finished up my chores and went back to check out the egg I saw! GUESS WHAT not 1 egg, 13 eggs!!!!! I thougth, oh my, no one is setting these and it is past 7 days so some might not incubate.
    (I use the 7 day rule on eggs, someone correct me if I am wrong!)

I went to the house to get something to go ahead and gather them anyway and attempt to incubate them. As I am gathering I am noticing some are WAY Bigger than others. 7 of the big size and 6 of the smaller size....WOO HOOO [​IMG] [​IMG] these are within the 7 day span!!! SOOOO I let them get to house temp and put them in yesterday! 28 days and I will be a duck/goose mommy again! I hope they all hatch!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2008
  2. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    thats great!, what kinda duckies??

I only have one laying age duck right now, Maude is my pekin I got last night(possibly crested carrier), If she keeps laying, and is still laying in about 3 or so weeks,I'm gonna start collecting her eggs until I have 9-12 and incubate them, but since she really only mates with Big Lenny,and he is a crested Pekin, I dunno how well the eggs would hatch.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  3. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    JMajors, what will you be incubating them in? What kind of bator, just interested......

4. Fudgie

UPDATE UPDATE 3 more!!!! WOOO HOOOOOO.....Might have another when I go out this evening, if that is not the case then I have 3 layers!!!

Chickenmonk, I use an LG (Little Giant) with turner. (BOO HISS from the crowd!) Sorry guys but I just cannot afford an expensive one, I WANT one but can't have one!

In all Honesty! I have had ok luck with the lg hatching chicks and such, most of the issues are my own stupidity! [​IMG] I have a question will geese interbreed, IE, I have a pilgrim goose and a white chinese gander will they breed and will anything come of it. That is who I think the bigger eggs come from and I really don't think they are probably fertile but what the heck, try anyway. If they are not, they are big enough for a NICE omlete. I can hardly get the jumbo egg carton closed on them.

5. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Geese like yours will interbreed and the goslings will just be mutts
    if you can fit them in an egg carton my guess is that they are duck eggs . I know i cant get my goose eggs in a carton

best of luck though !

6. Fudgie

So ducks will lay bigger eggs than a goose will? WOW never thought that! well once we figure out whose is whose, we will prolly eat the mutt eggs! I don't want something wierd running around even though their little fuzzy butts are cute as all get out!

7. Fudgie

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I thougth we were at 2 laying but I was so wrong! We have 2 pekin ducks and 1 chinese goose laying!!!! HOW cool is that. DD went to check the animals tonight and brought back 3 eggs, we had checked this morning and nothing so either someone is laying 2 eggs or all 3 girls have finally stepped up to the plate. DH is wanting omelets! LOL.

8. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Oh no a goose eggs is alot bigger than a duck egg

9. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:If they are clean, I incubate. I would never buy (or sell) eggs that old, but if you want to try to incubate them, it won't hurt anything. Just make sure the eggs are clean and there are no cracks in them. Especially since they are waterfowl eggs.

10. Fudgie

Ok, So how do you clean them without removing the nice oil on the outside. I have heard washing removes that and allows germs inside the egg. Ducks and geese have such ICKY feet when they come into the nest. You need a small place for them to walk across that they cannot splash in but get feet clean before coming into the nesting area.

Nice to know on the how long they are good for. So basically the rule of thumb is for selling eggs no more than 7 days but if your own, set em!!!

And derrr to me, [​IMG] I read that wrong on the size of eggs. i was thinking OH MY if a duck laid that big...no...HUGE thing [​IMG] [​IMG] ! The goose can handle that size. I am almost certain that we have 2 pekin ducks and 1 goose laying. I get 2 smaller ones and 1 big one a day now. HOW EXCITING or is that EGG...CITING!!! [​IMG]

(just for chuckles, how many of you chase the little [​IMG] guy around trying to click on him then decide you are stupid and just click anywhere close to him!) I have done that a lot here lately!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by