woo hoo we got our meaties processed. picture

momofchicks

Songster
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
Kentucky
We take our birds to a processor who has a USDA man there overseeing everything. They charge $2.65 a bird and vacuum pack them. When we got there they were like, "uh, they look like turkeys"
big_smile.png
We bought 50 Cornish X from Mt. Healthy and we processed 47. The smallest was 3.695 pounds and the biggest was 6.83 pounds, the average of all the birds was 5.75 pounds. They were 8 weeks and 4 days old, I think next time we will process at 7 weeks. Looking forward to a chicken dinner on Sunday!! They all didn't fit in my spare frig, have 8 in the upstairs frig. I also had 12 birds cut into pieces.
Oh yeah, out of the 47 birds I counted 18 roosters. I thought that was a pretty good amount of roosters since I just got a straight run.

9370_img_5550.jpg

Last edited:
droolin.gif
Wow! That's a nice lot of birds! Come to think of it, my freezer is a little low on meat, so if you have too many, you know where to send them!
big_smile.png

That is awesome! I would totally do meaties If I had someone to do them for that price nearby!! congrats! Have you figured out how much each bird actually cost from start to finish?

Quote:
We added it up, it was like they each ate 21 pounds of food. It cost us about $10.21 a bird. Half way through though we found some cheaper food, so next time it will cost us a little less.

Quote:
We added it up, it was like they each ate 21 pounds of food. It cost us about $10.21 a bird. Half way through though we found some cheaper food, so next time it will cost us a little less.

Thats great-I think?- I bet youll be searching for cheaper food ahead of time huh? Im just scraed to get them knowing how much of pigs they are and how very messy like savages! skeery!

thumbsup.gif
Love the pic. Thanks for sharing, can't wait to get my next batch going. Your rate is comparable to the rate I pay here in OH. No mess, no fuss, just stack 'em in the freezer. Your cost analysis is also in line with mine, thanks for confirming I'm on track.

Back
Top Bottom