Woo Hoo We had our meaties processed today!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by momofchicks, Oct 27, 2008.

1. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    [​IMG] I'm so excited to eat one on Wednesday, I can hardly wait. We had 16 birds done at an USDA facility. The smallest was 2.67 pounds and the largest was 4.28 pounds with the average being around 3.54 pounds. They were 7 week old Cornish Cross and they look delicious. Here are a few pics. One of them at 5 weeks and two pics today. I am thrilled already just by looking at them vacuum packed up, I can't wait to eat them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Just-Like-Hatching

Just-Like-Hatching Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Dothan, AL
    Looks delicous. What did it cost to get them processed?

3. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    $58.68 It cost $2.63 each bird and then $2.00 extra for each bird I had cut up and .35 for each tray for the cut ones plus two large bags of ice. I thought it was well worth it, because it would have taken us days to do 16 birds. We had processed two of our own Roosters and they took over an hour each. And I know they are all healthy and not damaged since there was a USDA inspector there.

4. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    OOOoooooh... Vaccum packed. Very nice!

5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Nice. I wish I could find a USDA facility to do that within reasonable driving distance. I would love to try some of those cornish x.

6. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    I'd love to find somewhere to get mine done, but I was told there's no one in Utah who does chickens (says the meat processor I asked, but I had previously made several calls to other places that also didn't do chickens). I'm going ot have to do it myself instead, and I'm really not excited. We had a friend come help us with our roos last year, early winter, then again late winter, but I don't want to bother him again. I have 12 cockerels that MUST go one way or another. I think doing them in two or three batches will take lost of time, but then I'll be able to weed out the ones I'm not keeping to breed.

I can do the processing, no problem, but I'm not sure I can do the killing myself.

Then again, if I think I'm going to be able to intubate and insert IVs, I can probably handle slicing an artery on a chicken.

7. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    wow, that cost is just outrageous!!!! I couldn't fork over that much after putting feed into those birds for 2-3 months!!! They DO look mighty tasty, though!!!

8. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    Nice looking packages!!

we can get ours processed in northwest Maryland for $1.75 per bird. they did 25 for us this spring in a little over 2 hours - would have taken us at least 1-2 days, plus the mess to clean up.
    Now we are sending 47 on Nov 7th to the same man.

None of the butcher shops that i contacted around our area would do chickens, so I thought that, as we know a Menonite furniture maker - and a lot of them follow the older ways of doing things , we would ask him if he knew of anyone who processed chickens - he said his brother-in-law did, and he is the one who did ours,and had a spotless area to do it in. we were extremely pleased with how carefully he cleaned and plucked them - not a pin feather left.

9. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I am sure it was nice to have them done for you but I would never spend that much to do them. The whole point for me is to know exactly what went into my birds and how they were processed from start to finish and that means doing it myself.
    Plus that seems like a lot of money for chicken.

10. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    that is a very nice job they did processing, wish I had processors like that in my state

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by