1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Woo Hoo ... we're in business now!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by criker99, Nov 26, 2008.

1. criker99

criker99 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2008
    Washington State
    So my daughter's wanted to get chickens for a long time. We decided to bite the bullet about a month ago. So ... first we found a hen house (a shed), then we found a couple of chain link kennels to use for fencing and then my daughter and I got it all set up. Hubby cut a chicken door in and I drove about an hour away to two different farms to pick up a couple of different flocks.

From place # 1 we purchased established laying hens (6-12 months old):
    1 - buff orpington
    1 - black sussex
    1 - golden laced wyandotte
    3 - americaunas

Then I drove to place #2 where we purchased some not yet laying hens (hatched mid-August)
    10 - barred rock hens

So we had about 2 weeks of only about one egg every 3rd day. and I got worried that we really wouldn't get many until spring.

So in the last week we've averaged 2 eggs a day. AND yesterday one of our barred rocks laid her first egg -- those pee wees are SOOO CUTE!

My daughter has been weighing each egg every day. The ones we've gotten the last week have been one medium and one XL each day. She's so excited!

And now I'm realizing we could actually be getting a dozen a day in the spring! She did such a cute business plan ... we're actually thinking about buying more - but this time buying strong layers instead of just pretty birds that lay.

So... we at Over the Top Farm are over the moon about our chickens!

2. Crazy_For_Chickens

Crazy_For_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Minnesota
    Wow that is nice I hope you get a ton of eggs![​IMG]

3. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Where are you from?
    Christina

4. criker99

Oct 20, 2008
    Washington State
    We're in Washington State - our normal business is horses - we breed, raise and train a variety of horses here. We've got 10 on site now.

5. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:Great! Happy to have you here. Fill out your signature line, cuz there are a lot of horse lovers on here too and for sure you'll make some new friends!
    Christina

6. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Your barred rocks will be very good layers. They lay good, even thru the winter.

I have black sexlinks and barred rocks and am easily averaging a dozen a day right now. I don't even think all of them have started to lay yet.

7. criker99

Oct 20, 2008
    Washington State
    Thanks for the info - I found where to update our location and signature line.

My husband is proudly wearing his "my pets made me breakfast" tshirt to work today!

This is probably the only day he could get away with it at work!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by