Woo Hoo

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by missnu01, Feb 11, 2013.

1. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    I might have a broody hen. Hooray! My mama hen is sitting on a nest under the stairs of the coop again...perhaps she'll stay this time. She didn't run away when I found her so that is probably a good sign. I wish I could sneak some more eggs under her. She is just so flighty and scared that it is hard. There weren't any eggs in the nest earlier today, but I'm sure she laid one, and will lay more, but I would love for her to hatch some of my other chicken's eggs. Should I just watch for her to get off and then sneak more under her? Or just leave her alone and be happy with whatever chicks I get, that is of course if she actually stays on the nest this time. I guess we'll see tonight if she roosts with the others, or stays on the nest right? I hope she stays. I super want some little fluffies.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I would give her as many eggs as she can completely cover. Mark them so that you can tell if any others are added. The Broody Magician sends good setting vibes:

Sing a little song [​IMG] 'n' do a little dance [​IMG] walla [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9 chicks enough?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  3. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    She hatched 8 on her last hatch. I'll start adding eggs to the nest as I get them from the other chickens. And hopefully she'll keep setting. It's weird because she will set for a little bit and then wander off, and then I will find her setting again. I think that is normal behavior for when they are building the clutch right? They don't set all the time until they have a good number of eggs, or no? They will lay an egg and then set for a bit, and then go do chicken things and then come back and lay another egg, so on and so forth...yes? or no? Will she stay there all the time, except to eat and such right from the beginning?

4. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She may just be starting a clutch. When she becomes broody, she will set there over night and then full time. Leaving the nest periodically to eat , drink, and sometimes dustbathe.

5. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    So I should pretty much act like I never saw her sitting there and go on as usual...just let her eggs pile up...and add a few as we go... I hope she will genuinely set. That or she is just the slowest to lay eggs ever...I'll let them collect for a week and then see what she's doing with them...I get around 2 eggs a day from 3 laying hens...so I'll give her a weeks worth of eggs from the other hens as well as what she herself lays, and we'll see how it goes I guess.

6. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If she was successful once, she will be so again. Is it warm enough where you live that the eggs will not be excessively chilled?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  7. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    On and off...She has been seen setting for extended periods of time a few times already, because it will be warm for a few days, and then freezing for a few days, and then warm again. It is supposed to be in the 50s all this week during the day, but in the 30s at night...Then we are supposed to get some snow this weekend, with a forecast of 30 degrees during the day and teens and twenties at night...So it isn't really warm enough, but the warm days seem to be confusing her. I am just so darn excited for chicks that I can't stand it. I'm getting an incubator next month, so whether it is warm or cold I am getting some chicks...Lol. darnit... If she would take the eggs I give her and figure the clutch to be large enough and just set on them they would be fine...but when she lays one egg and sits for a few hours, and then the next day she lays another and sits for a few hours...so on and so forth. I have only let her get to 5 because it was literally freezing and I knew even if she did start setting it wouldn't work out...I really want her to set some eggs, but the only way to do it in the cold is to just do it...she can't get up and wander around and then come back. I think I'll just have to wait until it gets no colder than 60...Aw well...I'll leave her with whatever eggs she lays for a few days...not like it will hurt anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by