WOOBLY LEGS ON 10-WK OLD MARANS CHICK/not sure shy

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChikieLyn, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChikieLyn

ChikieLyn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    Central Valley, CA
    Give us the following information. The more you tell us, the better we will be able to help you.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. BCM, 10 weeks, weighs the same as all of the other 7 BCMS (no scale, doesn't weigh less than his hatch mates, not underweight)

2) What is the behavior, exactly. He walks like his legs don't want to work anymore. I have posted this video to YouTube: His legs don't want to hold him up.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? About a week.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No (one BCM in his group died unexpectedly 2.5 weeks ago, exhibiting no signs of illness - I had seen him eat a huge, long feather the night before, and found him almost dead the next evening - but no leg problems)

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Not sure; he showed signs of leg weakness a week ago and it's gradually gotten worse to the point where we had to separate him. He walks around the 4x4 peach bin, trying to get out. Eating, drinking, pooping fine, no blood or diarrhea. He flew out of the pen, so he's not weak, he's just terribly wobbly with obvious leg weakness. They don't seem to be any hotter in the joints than the rest of the leg, but I didn't feel the legs of the other birds that are fine... didn't think about that....

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Fine

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. looks normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Added poly-vi-sol vitamins to his water 2 days ago, gave him some kefir (which he hasn't touched, even when I put his beak in it)

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I will not take him to a vet, but would like to find out what it is so the others don't get it too; someone mentioned it might be botulism. He's been fed Purina Start and Grow from the start, not taken off of it yet.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. (See video above)

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use He's been outside in a 6x6 dirt run with pine shavings in a dog crate that the 10 chicks sleep in. Plenty of water and grit.

2. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    He is really a nice looking Marans boy. I hope someone can help you. I have noticed with the marans, some can get slipped hock joint about that age especially if they are big and heavy and start play fighting each other or jump down from a high spot. Feel his hock joints and see if they are equal or if one is swollen and/or warm to the touch. It is common in fast growing LF breeds but usually in younger chicks but I had a few blue copper marans this happened to an an older age.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by