Wood and Mandrain Duck Eggs Needed!!

Siboney Ducks

Hatching
9 Years
Nov 28, 2010
I really need to get some wood and mandrain duck eggs, but everywhere i look will only sell me a pair of juveniles. Will someone please point:eek::eek::eek: me in the right direction?!javascript:insert_text('
ep.gif
',%20'');
jumpy.gif

If it were me, I would buy the juveniles that way i could get there eggs in the spring and hatch them. To my knowledge unless someone out there has been pulling there eggs everyday since last spring and the mandarins kept laying there no one should have any eggs for sale till this spring. (although there might be someone out there who got lucky and had a really good hen that produced a lot of eggs, but....)

Last edited:
Thank you so much! But would either of you know any hatchery that would send me eggs when spring time comes around?

I don't know about hatchery's, but i have found that looking on here in the Buy/sell/auction section or on the GBWF forum website in the for sale section and even Bestfarmbuys.com advertises some now and then. also there is a user on here (hasn't been on in a while) Cawooduck that sells mandarin and wood duck eggs. you could probably try and pm him/her to see if they will be selling any. Also if you order the Gamebird Gazette magazine i have heard they have adds on all kinds of fowl.

Last edited:
Quote:
Are mandrain or wood ducks friendly at all? Do they fly?

They fly really, really well unless pinioned. As far as friendly goes you can get with in 6 ft of them without them freakin if you stick to a schedule they are use to. the only ones that i have came across (not very many) that came up to me were the ones at basspro just because they were hungry.
lol.png

Quote:
Are mandrain or wood ducks friendly at all? Do they fly?

I've never owned them but I've heard they are freindly but it takes a while for them to adjust to you though like all animals.

I can't speak for woodies (but I'm sure they're similar), but mandarins are seasonal layers - they may lay their first spring, but usually, the second spring is best for hatching. One or two clutches max per spring. I'd say go for the juveniles - mandarin eggs apparently don't ship well at all - and although artificial incubation CAN be successful, its a science, so its best if they're naturally incubated.

Mandarins are a wild species, as opposed to a domestic breed, and they tend to be extremely skittish even if they're hand raised. They DO fly, and fly well, providing they're not clipped or pinioned. They require a large planted enclosure that is covered and escape/predator proof, and access to water for swimming/bathing - otherwise, if you plan to turn them loose in the yard or on an open pond, they probably won't stick around long.

Back
Top Bottom