Wood Ash, effective for mites or not?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DONDChick, Mar 11, 2014.

1. DONDChick

DONDChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    We've rescued some girls, and have our first mite encounter. I've read that wood ash is a Natural effective solution. True or False???

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Both. It is a preventive making it harder for mites to infest but if they are already on the bird it doesn't get rid of them. Treatments are different for what type of mites you have. For mites on the feathers and body dust with sevin and redust in 7 days. Make sure there is a full coop clean out both times. I am assuming you want to go natural in your route? I prefer Sevin 5% but walmart does sell Sevin natural (in green bottle) that is made out of some sort of flower. It works great as well but can take up to an hour to kill them all so if you see a few running around just know it is getting to them. If you have scaly leg mights (likely with a rescue as well) then you want to smother them. Any oil or vasseline (sp?) will work and you want to apply it at the top of the scales and work your way down so they have no where to run. You also have to treat any roosts they use. I reapply daily for up to two weeks. You can also gently wash and scrub the legs before treatment. You may see a few scales falling off after treatment, this is normal and they will grow back.

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Agreed. You're better off dusting with Sevin (which used to be labeled for use directly on poultry, it won't hurt them) and then give them ashes to dustbathe in after the active infestation is gone.

That's the problem with most natural remedies like ashes or DE. The can slow parasites down, but not get rid of an active infestation.

4. DONDChick

DONDChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Thanks. I've been desperate to get my girls better, and fast!! Haha.

5. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    If any of your girls seem weak you might want to put vitamins in their water to help with strength to get threw this process. Between the mites and moving to a new home it might take a while to get an egg out of them so don't think there is anything wrong there, they just don't like change.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by