Wood ash in coop

abhaya

Songster
12 Years
Nov 5, 2010
cookeville, tn
Can I use wood ask in my coop instead of DE? I use a wood stove in the house for heat so I have a ton on ash. I dump it in a pile outside the chickens love rolling around in it. Will it work like DE in the coop?

I'd guess the problem with your question is there is such a variety of opinions about DE on here. Read the threads linked in the FAQs and you will see what I mean.

I wouldn't. Wood ash is actually lye, I don't think it is safe for them. Does anyone else know about wood ash and lye (you can actually make soap from wood ash lye)
idunno.gif

Quote:
By wetting wood ashes you can beach lye from them. To do this in a barrel you would fill.it with hay and pack it down really well. Then at the top you pour water into the ashes and have a hole cut at the bottom of the barrel. Supposed to be the lye that exits the barrel in the water. That is how I read it anyway.

Wood ash from a wood stove is fine for chickens! It's what all old farmers use to put in the runs to keep bugs off their birds. I would not put it in the coop but the outside runs where they can fluff around in it. Make sure you have let it cool off well.

I keep my ash from the stove inmetal buckets for a week before I dump it so I am sure it is cool. I will dump some in the run and see if they like it.

Back
Top Bottom