1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wood ashes for dusting in.....

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by IttyBiddyRedHen, Dec 24, 2011.

1. IttyBiddyRedHen

IttyBiddyRedHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    Does anyone use cold wood ashes for the chickens to dust in? Ours pretty much stay in the chicken tractor, which has a fence wire floor, over ground. They do get to use a small pass through, from the main chicken tractor over to the spare open one. The door to door pass through is open to the ground. They like to dig that up, and dust in it.
    But, anyway.....I was just wondering about the wood ash.

2. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Yes I do,they love it.Make sure its just wood ash and nothing else burned it with the wood.

3. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I use wood ashes as well and mix them in with sand. I do sift them to get rid of the big chunks of wood that didn't completely burn up. Probably not necessary, but it doesn't take long and keeps their dust bath mix nice and smooth.

4. IttyBiddyRedHen

IttyBiddyRedHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    I think they finally figured out it was for dusting. I left them alone with it and came back later....it was all gone.

5. Rosaleen

Rosaleen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Danville, Vermont
    I mix wood ash, sand, garden soil and DE together and have it in large bins in their run.

6. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Quote:Yep that is what my ladies have too and they like it a lot more when it is warm.

7. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    I gave my girls some DE once and they couldn't help but poke their beaks into it. They all looked like cocaine addicts for a while afterward.

8. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Yep, and charcoal ashes, too. They love them and leave grey clouds in the air whenever they shake. [​IMG]

9. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I burn all of the old litter in a pile outside the coop, they dust bath in that all the time.

10. cheekyhens

cheekyhens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2013
    Is firepit wood ash okay? Do you have to make sure no lighter fluid was used or do the chemicals dissipate ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by