Wood call ducks??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jubylives, Nov 16, 2008.

1. jubylives

jubylives Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    Is there any such creature? I was cruising the net and happened across some pics of wood ducks. Neat looking birds. I would be an interesting bird to have.

jeremy

2. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Do you mean a cross between a call duck and a wood duck?
    I used to have wood ducks and I know they can cross with a Mandarin. Never heard of a cross with a call though.

3. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    wood ducks and call ducks are a different species of duck

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  4. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    You can buy wood ducks legally without a permit - you just can't sell them or the eggs. Woodies won't really cross with other species from what I've heard - I mean it can happen, but people have been deliberately trying to cross mandarins and woodies for a long time...calls are fun to have - but make a lot more noise than the wild ducks.

These forums are very informative for this type of info

http://www.gbwf.org/phpBB2/index.php

5. jubylives

jubylives Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    I'll check the link out. I just thought it wood be neat to have a call duck with wood duck coloring like the calls I have with the mallard coloring. I'm not too worried about noise as I bribe my neighbors with eggs from the chickens. [​IMG]

Jeremy

6. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Quote:Actually they're different species of duck.

7. Dandelion007

Dandelion007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Durant, OK
    I've read on the internet that sometimes Wood Ducks will cross with Mandarin or Calls. I couldn't find the link for that article though.

I have a pair of Wood Ducks. I don't see ever housing them with either just in case. Yes, I realize that Calls are not a member of the genus Aix.

When you buy Wood Ducks, you must get a Notice of Transfer or Sale of Migratory Waterfowl form from the permittee. That permit costs $75 per year if you want to sell or even giveway birds or eggs.

Wood Ducks are very beautiful!

8. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
  9. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Hi dan,

Quick question - is there a good way to tell woodie eggs from mandarin eggs? Or do they pretty much look alike?

Thanks,

Julie

10. giffy

giffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    Not to jump in on Dan..............the Mandarins are more beige/buff colored..........the Wood are off white/ivory colored. The Mandarins just a little larger on average.

The incandescent lights didn't help me, but here is a photo I took of both..........(about half way down the page)
    http://www.giffsfarm.com/candledeggs.html

giffy
    -------------------------

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by