Wood chewers in New Coop roof, Ants? Termites?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bantyshanty, Jun 12, 2011.

1. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    have a coop that's 8 months old, of native board-and-batten pine, which is Amish-built.
    For the last month I've seen trickles of sawdust coming down the south side of the coop from the roof. It is heavily shaded by a tree, and I thought it was just aphids from the tree until I looked today

There are large piles of pale yellow sawdust, and I can't find the source. It's a 6 x 8 walk-in Quaker style with overhanging eaves. The wood outside is stained grey and I don;t see any holes there, nor can I see any ants or holes in the rafters, which are insulated over, nor the overhang, which is dark. Should I suspect termites or carpenter ants on this new wood? We do have a lot of carpenter ants on our property and a damp environment. I foiunf two dead carpenter ant bodies on the ground. Proof?
    There's a product called Orange Guard. Does anyone have any other ideas? I guess I would put it up in the overhanging rafters? Do ants have to eat it to die? What to carpenter ants eat?
    Would ant traps be safe? There's a pile of sawdust that could be glued together to make a 4x4x2" wood piece, so far, and yet the coop is brand new, and surrounded by nice tasty tress! What is going on?

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Could be Carpenter Bees or Powder Post Beetles as well as Carpenter Ants

I'd spray all the wood with a preservative

3. bantyshanty

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    Thanks, I did treat all the wood with a preservative where I could reach, inside & out, but this is out of reach up in the frame.
    Any ideas on traps, poison, etc, and how to determine what is making the sawdust when I can't see it? Can't afford a pest control company visit.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
  5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

You may have to drill holes to get the insecticide into the enclosed areas then plug them

6. bantyshanty

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the info. Ill look into the insecticide you mentioned Bear foot farm. I take it this doesn't kill the chickens if they ingest a dead insect? I'll let you know if I use it. The pile of sawdust doubled today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by