CalliBee

Songster
Mar 27, 2022
Does anyone have any experience in using wood chip mulch for their chicken run? (The kind you see at playgrounds, not sure if I’m using the right name)

My run is so muddy and STINKS because it’s at the bottom of a slope in my yard. I researched it online and seems safe to use, however everything seems to refer to the inside of the coop.

Any advice?

Wood chips work great but if you have water flowing into the run from up hill you need to divert it with swales and possibly a trench around it to prevent it from flowing into the run.
I just get a trailer load of free wood chips from a nearby municipality.
I’m planning on doing some work around the coop sometime this spring. It doesn’t help I have ducks who like to dig in the mud and make puddles.
How often would i need to replace the chips? Using regular wood chip bedding breaks down within a day or 2

I use wood chippings, from tree trimmers, in my run.
Works good, they can migrate down hill even on my slight slope.
These are different(much coarseer) from the wood mulch you might get at a landscaping place.
full

I’m planning on doing some work around the coop sometime this spring. It doesn’t help I have ducks who like to dig in the mud and make puddles.
How often would i need to replace the chips? Using regular wood chip bedding breaks down within a day or 2
I've never removed anything from the run. I only add more when needed.
Flock in run.jpg

Last edited:
Is your run covered?
Does rain water flow into the run?
Is the duck water just for drinking/nare rinsing or do you have a swim pool too?
It’s partially covered. Rain water flows in, and we have lots of huge oak trees so it doesn’t get much sun.
Ducks don’t make too much of mess with their water with the system I have set up, but they dig wholes into the mud which pools the water up

It’s partially covered. Rain water flows in, and we have lots of huge oak trees so it doesn’t get much sun.
Ducks don’t make too much of mess with their water with the system I have set up, but they dig wholes into the mud which pools the water up
Also no swimming pool IN the run but they have a pond for when they free range

Back
Top Bottom