Wood chips can I do my own?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lost, Jul 17, 2008.

1. lost

lost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2008
    ,nc
    I have been seeing chipper anbd shreeders for $40-$50 each latly. Is that ok to do I use pine for my chicks but if i done it my self could I use and tree I want? Thanks

2. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Sure. Ive used chippings my neighbor had from his yard. Just make sure they are dry and dont use cedar or toxic stuff like poison ivy.
    There will be a good list of do's and dont's on this, before long. The people around here really know their stuff.
    Now, WHERE did you see $50 chipper/shredders??!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  3. lost

May 10, 2008
    ,nc
    craigslist

4. lost

May 10, 2008
    ,nc
    I knew pine was ok cause I have A lot of popular and oak trees

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    as long as you don't expect chipper-produced stuff to be as absorbant as feedstore pine shavings, sure, go ahead. You will need to make extra sure you have LOTS of ventilation in the coop.

Man, do I ever wish I ahd a $50 chipper or shredder [​IMG]

Pat

6. 1dude

1dude Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2007
    Pace, Florida
    I'd be very careful of a chipper for $50. I looked at new ones at Home Depot and they were around $800 for one to chip up to 3 inch limbs. Check it out and maybe have them show you it works first.
    It won't be shavings it will be chunks like for mulching plants.

7. lost

May 10, 2008
    ,nc
    Thanks. The shredder would do better right?

8. Jaybr

Jaybr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Matoaca, VA
    I've got a troybilt and it's good for small stuff but if have a lot to chip you'll be there all day feeding it.

When I decided to gradually clear more woods here at the new place, I purchased a PTO driven chipper for the tractor that will take up to 6" logs. It has a self feeder and will eat an entire tree. [​IMG]

They use a large flywheel with blades on them, and you can adjust the clearance somewhat if you want thinner chips.

I plan on using my chips once it cools down and I get started clearing again.

9. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Ooooh I want one too. I've got 2+ acres here full of brush and trees. [​IMG]

10. lost

May 10, 2008
    ,nc
    We are buying a new house soon with at least 10 acres. After I get my settlement.
    And i have been seeing them for sale. i reackon I buy that one I seen. If I don't like I'm sure one of ya'll will but it from me for $50 lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by