Wood chips for bedding

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jofanx, Oct 31, 2015.

1. jofanx

jofanx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2015
    Our town's compost facility allow residents to pick up as much compost and wood chips (for mulch) as we want for free. I always pick up several garbage cans worth each week. I was wondering if the wood chips would be okay to use as bedding for my ducks. It's untreated but I feel like I read that there was some type of wood that birds should not be bedded on and since this is wood chip processed from down trees all over the town, they would all be mixed.

When I used to keep reptiles, pine was a big no no as far as bedding went since it was toxic to snakes and lizards. Wondering if there's such a rule with birds. Or even if there were, if it was diluted with other types of wood, if that would be okay. If so, then I would never have to worry about the cost of bedding again!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Cedar is said to be unhealthy for ducks.

For bedding, I am not sure about the kind of wood chips that would be availableā€¦ I use shavings in the night pen, and chopped straw in the day pen.

3. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    I've also been told to never use cedar for birds, but pine shavings are fine. That's what I use in my duck house. :)

4. Oglan

Oglan Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2015
    New Hampshire
    I use pine for bedding and straw for laying boxes. woops, had to edit cause I didnt see that this was for ducks, I do this for my chickens.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by