wood chips for coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Theicequeen, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Theicequeen

Theicequeen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Pa
    Right now our run is just dirt and when it rains it is mud UGH, we are g oing to be putting sand down but i got the opportunity to get wood chips from a neighbor and was wondering if it would be ok to use in the run in the mean time?

2. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I use wood chips in my coop.

3. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I use wood chips in my coop.

4. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Depends on what kind of wood chips. If they are pine, you can use them. If they are cedar, then they are poisonous to chickens and other poultry.

5. Theicequeen

Theicequeen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Pa
    It is wood that went through the chipper, my neighbor has a landscaping buisness and had wood chips that he had left over and told us we could have them.

6. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I have wood chips in my run. It keeps the ladies clean and they have a ball scratching around in it!

7. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    They should be fine--most cities use them for paths, pile them deep. I don't think I'd use them in the coop though since they tend to compact more than shavings do and not absorb the poop as well. One advantage to shavings is they stay fluffy and allow air to dry the manure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by