Wood chips for duck run?

Going Quackers

Crowing
12 Years
May 24, 2011
On, Canada
What are the general thoughts on this concept? our run has now gone to mud so.. i need to calm this down.. they are free ranged but there pool is in there which is creating a big 'ol muddy mess
tongue.png
i've thought about the pea gravel but i dunno.. is it a better choice?

Last edited:
It would depend upon what type of wood.

I would not use cedar. Besides the toxic properties, it splinters easily and then you have the danger of bumblefoot if the ducks get a splinter in their foot. I would think that a smooth gravel would be better than wood chips.

The only way to deal with the water is to put it over a draining pit. Anything else you do is still going to make mud. I've got a 7 gallon waterer in my night run and not a drop of mud anywhere, even though the ducks remove all 7 gallons of water every night. All bathing water is outside in their day pen where a bit of mud doesn't hurt anything.

I put in a french drain through the middle of my run. Then I covered the entire enclosure with several inches of sand, pea-gravel and washed (smooth) gravel. I keep the white pine shavings in their sleeping area inside. Seems to be working quite well!

Back
Top Bottom