Wood chips for the run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by llnmaw, Aug 17, 2011.

1. llnmaw

llnmaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    Not the beauty bark landscaping stuff....

We have a large uncovered run for our 5 girls and it has turned into a giant dust bowl. The flies are awful. The dust in the house is awful (3 windows face the run area....it's bad. I see the dust blowing in through the windows) I really underestimated how quickly and proficiently the chickens would clear out the weeds. It is barren land...what was I thinking?

Anyhow, it's going to get muddy this fall/winter and I'm trying to fix that before it happens. There is not a standing water issue...just lots of open to the elements dirt that will turn to mud...mixed with poop.....[​IMG]. Don't know how I'd even attempt to clean that kind of mess. We cannot do sand, the run is just too large, our budget is nothing. I can get a load of chipped up trees from a local company and thought I would cover the ground with 4-5 inches of this stuff. My hope: Keep the dust down. If I toss out treats the girls will stir things around and the poo will get stirred in, maybe less flies? it will not be muddy with a little bit of maintenance of keeping it evenly spread about. I'm not opposed to maintenance (stirring the run myself) but what I have to do now is just not working.

Anyone tried what I'm suggesting and have thoughts? This would be free (which fits our unemployed budget right now!) and seems like it could work.

Thanks!
    ~L.

2. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    I use straw in the run during the muddy season and later rake it up and toss it into the compost pile.

3. PHILMAN

PHILMAN Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    South Plainfield , NJ
    I have wood chips in my run and it works great . I change it out now and again but no mess. I also have a roof over it too so that might help it . Good luck .

4. llnmaw

llnmaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    Thanks for your thoughts,
    ~L.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by