wood chips from a tag along chipper

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lilrose922, Jan 24, 2014.

1. lilrose922

lilrose922 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013
    we recently had a local tree trimming company come by trimming trees for the power company and I asked for some of the shredded materials the got to use in my chicken runs but then I got to wondering is it safe to use not knowing exactly what might be in it. Can anyone help with knowledgeable answers I've seen pros and cons just made me confused thanks in advance for any replies newby chicken grower!

2. Dwkuska

Dwkuska Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2012
    Graham Wa
    If you didnt know what kind of wood it was I personally wouldnt use it. When you get wood shavings from your local farm store youll notice they go to great lengths to call it CEDAR/PINE shavings, not just wood. Some woods would rot quicker than others, some might have too much sap content leading to stick feet. Other trees could cause respitory issues from dust.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  3. cmonkey4

cmonkey4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Pacific, MO
    I agree with @Dwkuskathat you shouldn't use them if you don't know what trees they come from. I think that pine shavings are best, and I have heard people say cedar shavings are not good for chickens.

4. Dwkuska

Dwkuska Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2012
    Graham Wa
    Black walnut is a big no no. Same with rhodadendron(or however you spell it)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by