Wood chips moved in the corners could it mean they're going to start?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mycookoonest, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Mycookoonest

Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    So my girls have nest boxes but I've yet to see the big girls go in them. I do however see them scratching at the wood chips in the corners. One was making some "weird" noises scratching behind the rake in the corner. So I don't know if they're just coming up with a new way of letting me know "get out of the coop Mom I'm busy here" or just telling me to get out the way because she's looking for food.

They never really have dust bathed in the coop, just outside they've gotten some pretty good holes out there. But it does kind of look like a dust bath hole.

I don't know. I feel like a little kid going out for easter eggs every morning saying "where'd she lay them, any eggs this time?"

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    How old are they ??

3. Mycookoonest

Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    They are 19 weeks tomorrow...

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Mine use their nest boxes but they also "borrow" places at times if someone else is in the box or another roo is hanging around to close.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Mine use their nest boxes. I put a golf ball in each box. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    They are still a little young !!!!! Could be a little longer....

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    If they are scratching behind a rake or other dark place it could be they are fixing a nest. They will get down and hollow out a bowl shape with their body before they lay. But yeah, it does kinda sound like they are 'thinking' about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by