wood chips on floor freezing

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fdehaven, Dec 14, 2010.

1. fdehaven

fdehaven Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2009
    Woodland, PA
    My coop has wood chips on the floor. I use the deep litter method. Well today when I was storing up the wood chips I noticed some where frozen to the floor. Should this concern me? I am really against heating my coop. Any suggestions.

2. Moabite

Moabite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    Add more chips so the top is dry and fluffy. How does it smell?

3. Jarheadred

Jarheadred Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2010
    St. Louis,MO ish
    Why are you against heating your coop?

4. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Alot of people are against heating the coop because if your power goes out your birds could die! They have feathers and will stay warm if you take care of them properly! I have added light in one of my coops but no heat to either and all 36 chickens and 3 ducks and six roosters are fine! Add more shavings maybe some straw? I am also using pdz to keep it dry because of the messy ducks!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I'd just chuck more (dry) material on top. To give the chickens something dry and fluffy (thus, warmer and more comfy on feeties) to stand on, and to snuggle into at night.

Be careful of your coop humidity if you've got your bedding damp enough that parts freeze solid. In some circumstances (extremely ample ventilation) this is not such a problem, but in more typical backyard coops it may be.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. try adding substantially more chips to the floor. If you fluff em up every week or so you should be ok by just adding more chips. If it has been a long time since you cleaned out your coop you may want to do that before adding more litter in.

7. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Yup, I'd be concerned if they were freezing because they were getting damp. Also you said "wood chips", do you mean that or are you referring to wood shavings as chips. I find that when I get a bale of supposed shavings that are more like chips that they tend of compact more--I've stopped buy from TSC for that reason. Shaving tend to stay fluffy longer whereas chips are better for the run or walkways.

8. fdehaven

fdehaven Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2009
    Woodland, PA
    I will add more chips (shavings) tomorrow. I just started this deep litter method this fall so I dont think they are to old yet. There is no smell.
    Every thing I have read about heating seems to be a bad idea because of the moister. It is 20 degrees here now and they seem fine with it. They even go outside (when it's not snowing). Thanks to everyone for there inputs I really appreciate it.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I wouldn't worry too much, if you have adequate ventilation and the humidity isn't excessively high in the coop. If the coop was really humid and you saw frost on the inside of the walls, for example, that would be bad. Coops in cold areas get below freezing inside. If they didn't, nobody would ever need heaters for their water. Poop contains moisture and is going to freeze, in freezing temperatures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by