Wood chips

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by WGB, Apr 28, 2008.

1. WGB

WGB Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2008
    I just got a PTO wood chipper. Would like to know if I can use any kind of wood chips for chickens? I see in most threads everone uses pine chips. Anything I need to worry about?
    Thanks

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I wouldn't use cedar.

3. TheChicInnKeeper

TheChicInnKeeper Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    I've read that black locusts are toxic to chickens....

Cyndi

4. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    thanks chicinn i was just fixin to place my coop where we just cut and chipped about 60 black locust trees, plan b,
    i hate those darn trees they attrack snakes

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    What about honey locust trees???

6. WGB

WGB Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2008
    Quote:I have plenty of them, they bad?

7. TheChicInnKeeper

TheChicInnKeeper Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    I just checked on "Yahoo" and it says that the Honey Locust leaves and seed pods are eaten by cattle and birds (quail, crows, etc...). Not sure about wood chips but sounds like it isn't toxic like a black locust.

We have alot of them on our property (black locust) so I looked them up last week. Our chics love greens and I didn't want to give 'em something bad.

Have fun with your new chipper!! I lost a really good pair of pruners in a chipper........ my ex-husband really never got over that.... can't figure out why.. (Ha!). Served him right! That's another story....

Cyndi

8. WGB

WGB Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2008
    Quote:Sounds like a interesting story!

9. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    If the trees are fresh the shavings/chips will be wet and sticky, probably not something you want to use as bedding. You could probably use it for mulch in the run so the chickens can dig through it. We used a wood chipper on pine tree limbs and it took me forever to get the sap off, I'm sure the chickens wouldn't appreciate sappy legs and feathers.

If the wood is old and dry and non-toxic to the chickens, then it would probably work great.

-Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by