1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

wood chips

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicken gal, Jul 10, 2013.

1. chicken gal

chicken gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2012
    some people saw that like pine shavings are bad for their feathers. can you tell if I am right or wrong and if I am which kind is right. thanks!!!!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

People each have their bedding preferences, just gotta see what you like best for yourself. I like pine shavings myself.

3. chicken gal

Nov 10, 2012
    but doesn't one do something to their feathers

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I've never heard or seen a difference. I've used straw before but do not like it because in the PNW, it soaked up too much moisture and then would subsequently begin to mold and mildew. I mean, the south side of buildings mold and mildew here... woodchips seem resistant to this and to dry faster.

5. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    We've used both pine shavings and straw, and now strictly use pine shaving. Neither had any adverse affect on feathers (or any other part of the chickens, for that matter). We just prefer the shavings because the straw tends to clump up and doesn't have the drying capacity of the shavings.

6. chicken gal

Nov 10, 2012
    I have white shavings. Any difference?

7. buckaroogirl

buckaroogirl Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Alberta
    Good question. My husbands an arborist and chips trees all day long. Does anyone use wood chips instead of shavings?

8. chicken gal

Nov 10, 2012
    me, I am so sorry I have been calling them the wrong thing[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  9. samaridad

samaridad Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2015
    I use wood chips all the time
    Have friends that own several tree services so get them delivered by the truck load.
    I dry them out on a concrete driveway and store for later use. And if I need some and it's been raining to long to dry naturally. I build a fire and dry them in a old washer tub on a rocket stove build for that purpose ( free fire wood too ). Since my chicken coop(run) is a 10 x 10 concrete pad it works great. It takes about 4 wheelbarrow loads to fill. I use them in the 8 x 8 hen house too. With a little straw thrown on top for the girls to work in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by