wood cook stove

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by berkeleysprings, Aug 19, 2010.

1. anyone here have experiance with the old wood heated cook stove / oven , i was wondering how well it heated and how well the oven works ?

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    My family used one for years when I was growing up. As I recall it was tough to keep the oven temp steady and the bread my mom baked was either great or terrible. Of course waiting an hour or two for the thing to heat up would be a non-starter for most people nowadays. I remember what a revolution it was in our house when we got a gas stove. Do they make modern versions of wood cookstoves? Maybe they are better now. I know the one we had was probably 100 years old at the time. I think it would be cool to have, just not as my main cooking stove.

3. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Songster

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I had one EON's ago when I was married to my Ex when I was very young.It was good for heat as well as cooking.I tried to get a nice small one my daughter was given a few year's ago when she moved but the first person to ask got it.It was in pristine cond. too and would have worked great in my kitchen.If you can get a nice one and have room for one I would buy it.They are great in winter especialy if you have a lot of power outage's.And Summer canning's as well.

4. i would love to get one , i have a wood stove in my bedroom and would love to replaceit with one, i cook alot on my wood sttove now rather than going into the kitchen to snak lol and because i heat the bedroom with a wood stove , the house has a heat pump and all and ac but i just love the heat from a fire /wood stove

5. Gallo del Cielo

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Yes, it was great for heating the kitchen in the winter. In the summer....not so much.

6. greathorse

greathorse Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    If you have that stove burning a lot or most of the time you will very quickly learn to bake very successfully on it. Most folks have trouble if they fire it up from time to time and have no feel for what is going on in the oven,

I have cooked, baked a lot on one and they are awesome. You just need to think and plan ahead and get the oven to the desired temp.
    The biggest problem of course is that it is not possible to change temps quickly, although with venting etc. it is more adjustable than you would first think.

7. JetBlack

JetBlack Songster

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Different wood, different temps, different foods. They work great though. The guy who does Cooks Illustrated has one in his home.

8. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Songster

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    We cook on ours all Fall/Winter long. It's a turn-of-the-century model. My grandfather helped DH & I find it about 18 yrs ago. We brought it here to the farm with us when we bought the place in 2007.

We love cooking on it, and baking or roasting in the oven. Something is always simmering away on the back of the stove. During Winter it smells lovely every time you walk in here. There's a learning curve while you figure out how to manage the fire for best cooking. Having good wood also makes a difference.

Ours also supplements the heat nicely. We bought only 130 gallons of heating oil last Winter! This is it:

[​IMG]

9. greathorse

greathorse Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    That is a thing of beauty very nice

10. Gallo del Cielo

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Quote:Wow, ours was no where near as nice as that. Nice stove. [​IMG]